PDA

View Full Version : How long can I store saltwater?

limitup
02/03/2010, 06:03 PM
How long can I store saltwater in a closed container and a temperature controlled environment before it goes "bad"? It would be inside ~75 degress, but in a sealed container (no powerhead etc) This would be for water changes.

speedo2wet
02/03/2010, 06:09 PM
Just remember to search, it has been answered before. The water will not go bad and can be kept for a long time in a container. You will eventually notice a bacteria build up on the sides of the garbage can or container but that is normal and does not affect the water. After you mix the water I like to wait 12-24 hours for equillibrium and ph adjustment then use it.

Now if your using real sea water then that must be held in a garbage can container for a few days with heat and darkness to kill the bad bacteria.

limitup
02/03/2010, 06:12 PM
Yeah I'm talking about NSW that would be stored in sealed containers for 1-2 months at a time. Thanks I'll try searching again. Maybe I used the wrong words...

I've read that you can store made up water "indefinitely" as long as it's sealed up and not exposed to light, but what about natural seawater that has bacteria, etc in it?? Will all the "good" bacteria die off as well? And if there is bacteria die off in the water - whether good bacteria, bad or both - won't that pollute the water some?

jarrett shark
02/03/2010, 07:34 PM
bump for good question because sometimes a make new saltwater and I dont use all if it once and wait till the next water change to use it? So it sits in no heater,pumps for 2 weeks or so

Extreme Corals
02/03/2010, 08:45 PM
My understanding is that if you're mixing up your own water then it can be stored almost indefinitely as long as it's sealed tight and not exposed to light.

What I'm wondering about is natural sea water that has plankton, bacteria, etc. in it.

I guess if I were to use something like Catalina water it's a non-issue because their water is extensively filtered, treated with UV and ozone etc. so there probably isn't much living in it by the time you get it??

iamwrasseman
02/03/2010, 10:25 PM
i would be carefull as other contaminents can be introduced through the collection of nsw but i do wish i had such an option cause i would definatly try it .good luck

Randy Holmes-Farley
02/04/2010, 08:26 AM
The answer depends on the brand of salt mix used.

For any seawater that has organics in it, nonaeration risks bacterial degradation making it anaerobic. That also applies to NSW, maybe especially so since it has a lot of suspended organisms that will die and cause problems if not aerated.

Instant Ocean has no organics in it, and can be stored forever without heating or stirring.
Reef Crystals has organics, and may be more of a concern.

stormrider27
02/04/2010, 08:39 AM
"Instant Ocean has snot organics in it" Well, that's a little disgusting. :lmao:

Randy Holmes-Farley
02/04/2010, 08:56 AM
:lol:

FWIW, I often mistype "does not" as "doe snot" , and the spell checker doesn't find it. :D

Gdevine
02/04/2010, 11:57 AM
If Natural Sea Water don't let it sit more than 7 days as there is a lot of die off all sorts of biological components. I buy from my LFS who pull the water daily and try to buy it 24 hours before a WC. Sprung has written on this as well so you may want to read up on his opinion as well.

Husker Lee
02/04/2010, 12:07 PM
Will this grow any algae if it is sealed up in a container. It will see light as it is an opaque container.

Gdevine
02/04/2010, 12:39 PM
Will this grow any algae if it is sealed up in a container. It will see light as it is an opaque container.

Yes.