PDA

View Full Version : Moonlights ... turn them off or not ...

JB63
02/03/2010, 06:57 PM
I'm using 2 timers already for the white then blue lights (ok, daylight and actinics). My moonlights however, they're always on. Also, the HOB fuge is on reverse light cycle (it's on at night) so there is always some light in the tank, even in the middle of the night (HOB fuge + moon lights).

Is there any benefit to have the tank totally dark at night? Would some Corals not come out and eat because of the moonlights?

What's your take?

andrewarrington
02/03/2010, 06:59 PM
Good question!

Jacuzzi
02/03/2010, 07:48 PM
Very good question just got a fixture with them and don't know what to do. Tagging along

jarrett shark
02/03/2010, 07:53 PM
me also I bought LED moonlights and not sure if I can run them 24hrs or do coral/fish need to sleep

stevek480
02/03/2010, 08:12 PM
My clownfish sleep fine under the moonlights. I'm not sure if it affects the corals though.

chartwell
02/03/2010, 08:13 PM
I recently upgraded and my new lights included moonlights. At first I left them on all night. After 2 weeks I noticed that my open brain and my Candy Canes were not extending their feeding polyps, even if I dropped food onto them. I started having the moonlights turn off at 11pm and come back on mid-morning, and the corals immediately started extending polyps and taking food.

inktomi
02/03/2010, 08:40 PM
What about moonlights that simulate cycles of the moon? My AC3 can do that if I were to attach moonlights to it... but then they'd be on 'all night' - except sometimes they'd be brighter than on other nights.

I'd think that this would be more natural, though it still doesn't simulate cloudy nights which would of course be very dark naturally.

LSBoogie
05/16/2010, 08:41 AM
Intead of starting a new thread I thought I'd just bump this one. I have the same question and don't really see a definitive answer. Can you leave moonlights on 24/7 or should they also be on a cycle?

Haddonisreef
05/16/2010, 08:51 AM
I run my moon lights form 1230am to 5am so that there is complete darkness!

LSBoogie
05/16/2010, 08:54 AM
Yeah was thinking the same thing. Kept searching and found that people have noticed fish and coral activity vary from moonlight to darkness so if there is a difference, i'll have them turn off.

shrimphead
05/16/2010, 09:12 AM
i remember reading somewhere that it's not good for your fish to leave them in complete darkness, but it probably depends on how dark you think complete darkness is, if your tank is in your living room then it probably isn't complete darkness because you'll get a little bit of moon light coming through the window compared to if you keep your tank in the garage where there arn't any windows. in the wild there's allways a little bit of light on the reefs at night, coral spawning is timed with the moon and the tide.

biecacka
05/16/2010, 09:22 AM
i have wondered this question too, i was told from a few ppl that tried it both ways they never noticed a difference. however i have no input on the subject other than what i was told.
corey

Haddonisreef
05/16/2010, 09:29 AM
i have heard the opposite they need dark to rest if there is light then they dont sleep! IDK

SaltieG
05/16/2010, 09:49 AM
All I know is that I have moonlights and once the daylights and actinics go off for the day, those fish have no problem finding resting spots and sleeping through the night.

jchase1970
05/16/2010, 10:21 AM
i've tried it both ways and currently i have 4hrs of complete darkness. but i cant tell a difference in it with regards to the fish.

tspors
05/16/2010, 10:24 AM
Yes you can leave them on 24hrs. I run my Actinics from 10-10 and Halides 11-9. When my Actinics go off at 10 the LED moon lights come on and stay on for 12 hours. In the ocean there is only total darkness when the moon is not out. Fish need darkness to hibernate (sleep). I have done a complete total darkness when I have a cyno problem I wrap the tank with a sheet to keep all light out. FIsh loose there color but hibernate the whole time. But back to the original yes 24 hrs for moonlights are ok.

redlabel
05/16/2010, 10:36 AM
imo you need some kind of total darkness so your corals feelers come out

Compguy
05/16/2010, 10:52 AM
My Current fixture over my frag tank has blue and white LED's for moonlights, but I only run the blue one's on opposite times as my MH/T5's, I really don't see the purpose of the white one's.

dragenfire0
05/16/2010, 12:15 PM
I run blue ones all night with no problems ,they are set to come on after the lights go out.

Zebodog
05/16/2010, 02:40 PM
The moon rises and sets at different times each day in nature leading to a number of days each month where it would be pitch black at night. Throw in cloud cover and such and it's perfectly reasonably to have periods of total darkness.

I just recently added the lunar module to my Apex to simulate the lunar cycles - too early to tell if it's going to be beneficial or simply another toy.

lilalove
05/16/2010, 03:32 PM
My fixture has moonlights, and I never used them until I switced from 10k halides to 14k. With the 14k I realized the actinics weren't adding anything to the tank, so I stopped turning them on. When the halides shut off, I leave the moonlights on for about an hour so the fish can get settled into their sleeping spots. My coral (mostly LPS) will start to extend feeders at this time. I don't see any effect on them, but my naso and hawk fish will continue to roam and crash into the rocks with the moonlights on. The clownfish never really seem to settle down either. For this reason, I only leave them on for that hour, and then it's dark the rest of the evening.