PDA

View Full Version : I think I have AEFW

Rich D
02/03/2010, 08:38 PM
I noticed eggs on the bases of a couple of corals and after looking at melevs reef site, I think they are acropora eating flat worms.

I was wondering if anybody could tell me what corals they eat, is it limited to acroporas?

This may sound stupid but I am unsure as to what corals are actually acropora. The eggs I have seen were on the bases of a Tyree Tri Color and an ORA purple plasma.

Other corals consist of:

Green Birds nest
ORA birds of paradise
Deep pink birds nest
Oregon tortuosa
Yellow tortuosa
Green bali slimer
Rainbow Millepora
Sunset Millepora
Blue Tenuis
Pink pocillpora
Microthalma
Turaki
Blue acropora

luther1200
02/03/2010, 09:40 PM
The ones I have mostly attack smooth skinned Acro's, but once they all died, I only had 2 small ones, they went after Milli's mostly. But I also have a Green Birdnest that I think was being affected also. But I am not 100% positive of that. Its just not growing like my other Birdnest, and jow I think it should be growing.

Dejavu
02/04/2010, 03:26 AM
They are limited to eatting only acropora. These ae not acro's

Green Birds nest
ORA birds of paradise
Deep pink birds neGreen Birds nest
ORA birds of paradise
Deep pink birds nest

Rich D
02/04/2010, 01:37 PM
so anything that isnt a birdsnest can be eaten by these?

even corals like a turaki and bali slimer?

What are the most effectful ways of getting rid of these?
would flatworm exit work in a display or would that kill any other beneficial worms and other animals?

luther1200
02/04/2010, 01:54 PM
No Flatworm Exit will not work. There really is no in-tank treatment, except for the "basting method". They will affect any Acropora, but I noticed what looked like bite marks on my Green polyped Bordnest, and after I basted it, it got better. So just giving a heads up on that. I asked and most people said AEFW should not affect them, but a few had similar experiences. But it could have just been a coicidence.

http://melevsreef.com/aefw.html

Beaun
02/04/2010, 01:55 PM
even corals like a turaki and bali slimer?

I believe Bali Slimer is Acropora yongei.
Turaki is exactly that, Acropora turaki.

Rich D
02/06/2010, 09:53 PM
I dont think I will be doing any dipping because most of the corals are still quite small but have established a base so Id prefer not stressing them out.

Just a couple minutes ago I went flatworm hunting with a turkey baster and was able to pull out a pretty nice sized one (2-3mm). I think that I will look for them every night and try to remove as many as I can and hopefully they will slowly die away.

The only coral affected still is the purple plasma, the tri color began to necros when I noticed the eggs on the base but they seemed to have died off on that coral.

Everything is still a frag for the most part so they have very little food to rely on.