PDA

View Full Version : How to tell if my montipora is healthy?

tebstan
02/03/2010, 11:19 PM
How can I tell if my montipora is healthy?

It was sold to me as Purple Montipora informis. It had a small brown spot on it at purchase, presumably from damage in shipping. I got it straight from shipment at LFS to my home. That spot has not gotten worse or better. If I'm not careful about dosing phyto, I see algae growing on that spot. But usually, it's not a problem.

I never see polyps on it. Do plating montiporas even have visible polyps? Sometimes after feeding it looks "bumpy" usually more so in the evening.

It still has the same nice velvety look and lavender color it had when I bought it, about a month ago. It's been near the bottom of the tank since it was new, to avoid bleaching. I'm scared to mess with it by moving it around.

This is my first hard coral. I like that the softies make it clear how they're "feeling." This has me stumped.

Stats:
I have a 90 with 6 T5s, 3.6W per gallon. I have a sump slowly becoming a fuge as I figure out how the best way to go about it. I alternate feeding stuffs throughout the week, including: Brine, mysis, spirulina, rotifers, cyclops, oyster eggs, and phyto. When I have the time I soak the food in vitamins, which is once or twice a week. I skim, but turn everything off during feeding. Tank has a relatively light bio load: pair chromis, pair clowns, goby, blenny, pair firefish. Other corals include Colt, 2 small clams, mushrooms, zoas, rics - not much. Everything is healthy. Nitrates are always zero. pH steady 8.4, salinity 1.025. Calcium 500, kh 10-11, Mag 1340, iodine .06.

Sorry no pic, lights are out - don't want to disturb everything. Will add tomorrow if necessary.

zachfishman
02/04/2010, 08:04 AM
Does it have light colored edges? If so those are the growing edges of the coral, which to me would indicate its health.