PDA

View Full Version : phosban reactor and chaeto

Nexenn
02/03/2010, 11:45 PM
will the chaeto still grow if im pulling all the phosphates out with a reactor and some GFO from bulk reef supply?

thanks

jb61264
02/04/2010, 12:06 AM
tagging along on this one...i've been growing chaeto since I started up last June...just added a BRS reactor with GFO about 2 weeks ago and my chaeto is still growing. I hear it can take 4-6 weeks to really start noticing changes. I had a really small out break of some hair algae on a piece of baserock I got from someone else and that has begun to receed already, but the chaeto is still growing and I imagine it will but just at a slower rate than before

Nexenn
02/04/2010, 11:01 AM
Bump

ErikJL
02/04/2010, 11:15 AM
Tagging as well. I have chaeto in the sump and a phosban reactor and some GFO media ready to be deployed in my "new" 90, but I'm going to wait and see how my phosphate numbers change before I use the GFO. I'd rather grow a nice big ball of chaeto.

crank2211
02/04/2010, 01:27 PM
Mine still grew with GFO running and reverse photoperiod.. I've since lost my sump/fuge but still run the GFO.

slief
02/04/2010, 01:28 PM
I started a thread on the same subject only using GFO..

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1781420

In short, its a balancing act. Too much will inhibit chaeto growth. Some dont suggest running a reactor with chaeto. Others do but monitor things closely and use minimal amounts of reactor substrate.

JeF4y
02/04/2010, 01:31 PM
I don't think there is such a thing as pulling ALL the phosphates out. There will still be some. And there will be little bits of food that get caught up in the chaeto which will rot and create localized phosphates.

Short story, they will work together IMHO.

Gdevine
02/04/2010, 03:30 PM
I don't think there is such a thing as pulling ALL the phosphates out. There will still be some. And there will be little bits of food that get caught up in the chaeto which will rot and create localized phosphates.

Short story, they will work together IMHO.

Totally agree. In fact, I've never heard of cheato not growing because of GFO usage...poor lighting yes...but not GFO. Tanks no matter what will always have some Phosphates even if you can't measure for it.