PDA

View Full Version : Shelf life of amonia/nitrite/nitrate testers

csmfish
02/04/2010, 12:33 AM
Just wondering what the shelf life is on these? I do not have any dates on mine and I am sure my ammonia tester is gone as bottle 1 is all goopy and gloppy when i use it. I know I should get a new one as mine is a year old.

How do I know how old the new bottle is that I get, from wherever, is new if there are no dates stamped on them?

Octoshark
02/04/2010, 12:36 AM
It should be fine if you shake it really well, but since they aren't expensive it wouldn't hurt to start fresh.

Flipper62
02/04/2010, 01:30 AM
Most test kits are good for about 1 year. However it doesn't start from the time that you buy it. If it sat on you LFS shelf for 6 months.....then it only good for about another 6 months.

The best way I have found to keep my test kits in check....I do my tests every few days....But every 4 to 6 weeks I take some water and do my tests, then I take some of that same water to my LFS and let him test the water. This way I can compare his readings to my readings.

csmfish
02/04/2010, 09:37 PM
Thats the thing. I now the shelf life of kits starts way longer than when I buy it.

Mine are a year old and I swear my #1 bottle swirls around the test tube like dish soap. I do not remember that happening when i first got it. The final color of fresh saltwater does not look the same either.

I just want to avoid another bottle of what I already have.

Octoshark
02/04/2010, 09:55 PM
Thats the thing. I now the shelf life of kits starts way longer than when I buy it.

Mine are a year old and I swear my #1 bottle swirls around the test tube like dish soap. I do not remember that happening when i first got it. The final color of fresh saltwater does not look the same either.

I just want to avoid another bottle of what I already have.

In that case, if the liquid appears that odd, then you would be better of just getting a new and fresh kit.