PDA

View Full Version : TDS Meter, R/O Water Question???

rogerrgr
02/04/2010, 07:43 AM
I tested the R/O water that I have been buying out of a vending machine and got a reading of 244 mg/L (ppm). And I was wondering if that was good or not? I tested the R/O DI water at work and got a reading of 4 mg/L. And out of curiosity I tested our softened well water and got a reading of 470 mg/L. There really doesn't seem to be much of a difference between the TDS of the RO water I'm buying and the well water I have at home. My quesion is the water I'm buying and using in our tank good? And is it much better than the well water that's free?

Chiefsurfer
02/04/2010, 07:53 AM
WELLLLL, TDS is a VERY standard test, and it does NOT tell us if it is good or not. Many of the particulates in water are fine. There are a few that are very bad, like chlorine, copper, etc. Without testing for these you cannot be assured that it is ok.

That is why we usually reccomend ro/di, because RO can not be 0, and the bad stuff can sometimes get past. Try and tell the vendor company that their membrane is shot(because at that level, it is DONE), and see if it changes. If not, I wouuld either find a new place, or buy your own unit. In terms of what most of have spent in this hobby, $150 for your own controllable, testable, ro/di unit is not too much dough.

Randy Holmes-Farley
02/04/2010, 08:12 AM
I would not buy that machine water. :)

Flying_Hellfish
02/04/2010, 08:38 AM

+1 My tap water is at 250ppm

jarrett shark
02/04/2010, 10:03 AM
do you have TDS meter that has probes that need moving water to get a good reading or a dip TDS meter that does not need moving water?

d2mini
02/04/2010, 10:07 AM
The water coming out of my RO is 4ppm. Buy the time it come out of the DI it's 0.
Totally worth the $150+ compared to everything else we spend money on. Probably the best investment I've made.

rogerrgr
02/04/2010, 10:24 AM
I used the TDS meter in the lab at work, it's the dip kind and pretty expensive. I am going to check into getting a R/O unit that goes under the sink then we can use it for cooking and filling our water dispenser bottles also. I see that clearwater systems have them for sale, and that's where we got our water softener, so I'm going to check them out also. Thank you guys for the help, I am new to the whole R/O water thing!

Nexenn
02/04/2010, 11:08 AM
My tap water is ~250ppm, my RO/DI water is 2ppm and when it goes over 5ppm i replace filters on it. So to me, 5ppm is bad. 250ppm is like using my tap water in your tank, and thats prob not a good idea

ErikJL
02/04/2010, 11:10 AM
Good to see some numbers for comparison. My tap water is around 100 ppm, 0 after RODI using the $30 inline TDS meter from Marine Depot.

bobsea
02/05/2010, 10:54 AM
I've dealt with some water quality problems and found Russ at Buckeye Field Supply knowledgeable. Also talked with some folks a Bulk Reef Supplies. Both sell RO/DI units.

daudelus
02/05/2010, 12:21 PM
Isn't there something to be said about the container in which the water is tested, considering it may not be completely clean and free of particulates. I don't know that for sure, but I get a completely different reading when I test in my storage container than when I take a clean drinking glass and read it as soon as it fills. Anyone else have any thoughts on this?

jhc
02/05/2010, 01:21 PM
My tap water is 12 on my tds. :-) Some times i wonder if i need an ro/di.

Randy Holmes-Farley
02/05/2010, 01:48 PM
My tap water is 12 on my tds. :-) Some times i wonder if i need an ro/di. }

I would use it regardless. Low TDS tap water says nothing about which contaminants are actually present, such as copper, chloramine, etc. High TDS often just means more dissolved salts, not necessarily more bad stuff.

travis442
02/05/2010, 02:26 PM
Bulk Reef Supply also sells RO/DI units at a pretty reasonable price, I just purchased their 75 GPD unit that includes and in-line TDS meter for $199 if you can get in on a group buy you can get it for even less.

I haven't used it yet but everybody seems to be very pleased with the unit.

Flying_Hellfish
02/05/2010, 03:12 PM
Bulk Reef Supply also sells RO/DI units at a pretty reasonable price, I just purchased their 75 GPD unit that includes and in-line TDS meter for $199 if you can get in on a group buy you can get it for even less.

I haven't used it yet but everybody seems to be very pleased with the unit.

AirWaterIce, who is another sponsor, has some nice units as well. I just got one from there on a tip from a friend of mine.

I was reluctant to get a RO/DI for my fowlr but in the end I couldn't justify not getting one.

SMITTY27030
02/05/2010, 06:20 PM
ohh my i would stay way away from that machine water....bet ya been having algae blooms..i invested in an ro/di years ago..when my tds goes above 1 i change filters...i also run two of the di filters on it....you will be suprised what it will do..best investment i made other thatn my skimmer...

meco65
02/05/2010, 06:33 PM
I use to run my tanks with treated tap water, and could not get rid of algae. When I bought my 29 Gal. Bio-Cube I bought a RO/DI, and I would not go back to tap water. I have had the tank now for about a year It has made the hobby a lot more enjoyable. With the high TDS you are putting a lot of stuff you don’t want in the tank. Once its in it hard to get it out. IMO.

loglew
02/05/2010, 06:59 PM
Just got my ro/di unit from bulk reef supply and love it. More than enough stuff to set it up how you want it. Makes great water, comes with a TDS and flush kit already installed. It's as close as you can get to plug and play, great unit! My tank has never looked better and its only been a month. No more diatoms! You won't regret it.

undrtkr_00
02/05/2010, 07:45 PM

+1 Hehe...

reefman30
02/05/2010, 07:52 PM
I envy all yall with low tds water. My tap water runs 1000-1500 tds. That machine water is good compared to what comes out of my tap. :)

lordofthereef
02/05/2010, 07:57 PM
I would contact whoever does maintenance on that machine's water. That number sounds way above the normal limits, at least what I have seen around here. The machines here state that the water is usually 5-15 ppm. That is the water I used before I got an RO/DI unit and it always tested withing those given limits.