PDA

View Full Version : Many little worm in my Bioballs

basestring
02/04/2010, 09:17 AM
Don't know where to post this, but I'll try here:thumbsup:

I just found out that my Bioballs are full off little worms around 500 to 1000 if not more. they are 2 a 3 mm Thick and around 5mm long. they are white and little transparent.
they look a little like copepods as for I could find online.
I don't know how big they should be but copepods are kind of plankton, right?

is this normal? or is this bad.

I build my own canister. it pumps water from my sump trough a UV sterilizer into the bottom of a thank that is full of bio balls. at the top have a pipe that goes back to the main sump. so the Bioballs are fully underwater.

Cheers

Holyreefer
02/26/2010, 10:41 AM
sounds like bristleworms breeding in your bio balls is all.
I woulda posted this in the reef discussion forum.

billsreef
02/26/2010, 12:11 PM
Yup, likely some sort of small bristle worms. They are eating what ever organic matter gets trapped in the bioballs, so they are doing you service by cleaning the filters ;)

overklok
02/26/2010, 02:00 PM
My advice is to get rid of the bio balls, nothing but detritus traps and nitrate factories. Let the rock do your filtering.

kaskiles
02/26/2010, 02:08 PM
Must be larger than a copepod, could it be amphipods? Them them graze, then harvest them with a turkey baster.

JGYEAR
02/26/2010, 02:40 PM
My advice is to get rid of the bio balls, nothing but detritus traps and nitrate factories. Let the rock do your filtering.

+ 1 Get rid of the bio balls it's a nitrate factory. Use live rock rubble instead.

Fishinboy84
03/13/2010, 06:50 PM
thumbs up on getting rid of the bio balls. replace with live rock...