PDA

View Full Version : scarlett cleaner spawned!

mayjong
02/04/2010, 09:58 AM
so, last night i was checking out my abalone after lights out (see pic, he's cool!)
i started to see "stuff" floating around in the tank. the "stuff" increased dramatically in about 2-3 minutes from several to thousands(?)
i look closer, and they are shrimp (fry?)!!!!
i basted several out into a white cup, and i'm sure they were scarlett cleaner shrimp fry...i "basted" at least 100 into my sump, hopefully they will grow in my chaeto??? i didn't even think to put them in my quarrantine tank (wasn't set up)
questions-
if it happens again, what are my chances of "raising" these?
what would they eat?
is there any way (HOB nursery tank?) to quarantine them in my main tank?

any thoughts?
thanks!
ps-sure would be nice to "sell" to LFS. rather than spend, spend, spend!!!

ChadTheSpike
02/04/2010, 10:37 AM
I think the chances of them living in your sump is close to nil... most tanks are way low on plankton and dont have enough to sustain growing fry... that being said florida aquaculture farms has a book on raising peppermint shrimp... I imagine that its a similar ordeal to your scarlet cleaners. You could look into that. Good luck, beyond selling back to your LFS, you are giving back to the reef community at large when you take on these types of efforts :D

mayjong
02/04/2010, 10:52 AM
thanks!
i just found Luis's thread on raising shrimp. an amazing amount of work! i will moniter them, but it doesn't look good, as i don't have near the time/patience/knowledge that he does, and he lost them all...
thanks again!