PDA

View Full Version : Something is wrong with my Zoa's

jauld
02/04/2010, 12:24 PM
Hey guys,

I'm having trouble with my zoanthids. Take a look at the picture. http://i350.photobucket.com/albums/q401/jauld2/IMG_3190.jpg?t=1265302213

I placed these zoa's in that hole about 4 months ago. When I put them in it was only 2 heads and now its 5. But, recently, some of the polyps have not been opening and now one of the smaller ones is missing part of its skirt.

My aquarium is a 37 gallon tall tank with a current 250w sunpod. The only thing that i can think of that would cause this is the light may be too powerful as it sits pretty much right on the glass. I do 5-10 gallon water changes weekly so my parameters are all normal. My temp never goes above 78.4 and never below 78.1.

I have other Zoa colonies that are doing perfectly fine, but some of them are having trouble.

Any Ideas?

650-IS350
02/04/2010, 01:41 PM
Notice any LARGE Ampipods on them at night time? when lights are out or attinics?

wycombes
02/06/2010, 10:52 PM
Start looking for stuff on them at night. What do you have for fish?

A. Grandis
02/06/2010, 11:06 PM
Something is in contact with them and making them to retract. Could be aiptasia anemone, could be snails between the polyps and so on. Try touch the polyps, so they close, and look carefully. Use a flash light if needed. Try suck the water around them using a hose. They are not that bad. Some times they do that for a while and it stops after couple months. If the problem was he light, all of them would be retracting or bleaching.
Good luck!
Grandis.