PDA

View Full Version : Need a good quiet short HOB skimmer

Esabasard
02/04/2010, 01:39 PM
I am wanting to change out my tunze9002 for a HOB type skimmer. I like the tunze, but I would like to get it out of my tank so that I can get my light back to the center where it belongs. It is in the kitchen so I need it to be quiet and it is going on a 20 long (12") tall, so it can't be a monster. I would like one that is not a POS also. Thanks

Sinful Aquatics
02/04/2010, 01:48 PM
I wouldn't suggest the remora then..

-RYknow
02/04/2010, 05:38 PM
I think finding a skimmer in the 12" range is going to be a bit of a challenge...

I would suggest the Eshopps PSK-75h. I have one on our 20 gallon tall, and it's a great performer!! If memory serves me correctly, the psk-75 is roughly 22" tall. But I think thats total height, including collection cup.

-RYknow

Esabasard
02/04/2010, 06:48 PM
It doesn't need to be 12" tall, it needs to be no more than 12" from the rim to the bottom when hanging. How much of that skimmer is below the tank rim?

Mrrealmadrid
02/04/2010, 08:17 PM
Im having the same issue. The stock jbj skimmer is trash and I don't want to give up the middle Chamber. If anyone has any experience with a nice hob Skimmer for the jbj 28 Please post

-RYknow
02/04/2010, 09:10 PM
It doesn't need to be 12" tall, it needs to be no more than 12" from the rim to the bottom when hanging. How much of that skimmer is below the tank rim?

I'm going to say ~17". I can measure it once I get home tomorrow afternoon. We just had our baby yesterday! :bounce3: I'll measure it when we go home, if someone hasn't already posted the measurements for you.

-RYknow

Esabasard
02/05/2010, 08:40 AM
Congrats on the BABY!!

JDMhoes
02/05/2010, 11:57 AM
you should look into the CPR Bak-Pak skimmer. Its a hang on that does not take up to much space. google will do for photos!

Chiefsurfer
02/05/2010, 12:44 PM
2nd the eshopps if it fits. I should be home about 4:30pm EST, and I can measure if RY hasn't. My tank is only 18 tall, and it definitely is not only 1" from the stand. I also run it on a 20 tall, and love it.

tuffyfluffy
02/05/2010, 01:15 PM
Hi

Get the Deltec mc300 HOB skimmer or CPR AeroForce Recirculating Protein Skimmer.

Esabasard
02/05/2010, 01:19 PM
How loud are the CPR and the eshopps skimmers? I see a CPR aero force skimmer, anyone used one of those? Height is the main issue, not total height, but from the tank rim to the bottom when hanging. I am surprised how many manufacturers don't provide that detail.

-RYknow
02/05/2010, 04:21 PM
Congrats on the BABY!!

Thank you very much! Being a dad is awesome so far! She's so sweet and innocent! She's already got me wrapped right around her little finger! haha

I just measure our PSK-75H. From the rim it hangs about 15 inches, thats including the pump. The only part that actually touches the tank (bottom of the bubble chamber) is 10.5-11" below the rim. I can take a pic to help explain this if that would help. lol

As far as noise, the PSK-75h is extremely quiet! My g/f is a very light sleeper, and our 20 gallon is in our bedroom. She doesn't even notice the eshopps skimmer. The fan on our light fixture is def louder.

-RYknow

Chiefsurfer
02/05/2010, 04:43 PM
Have to agree, the computer fan on my lights is louder than the skimmer. I wouldn't say it was dead quiet, but defiinitely not real noisy.

As to the skimmer. I do not know if this would work or not, BUT, the intake for the skimmer is a long plastic tube, like would be on a regular power-filter(aquaclear or similar) and would DEFINITELY be in water elevated 3" above your tank. How the pump would pull, or the level I do not know.

I also think this would be a fairly common size to document on a HOB skimmer, but it seems as if it is not.

Esabasard
02/05/2010, 05:12 PM
Unless I am confused about something, I don't think the eshopps will work. I only have 12.5" at the most until it will hit the stand. It isn't possible to mount it in any way that it can hang off the stand or anything. The only picture I can find of it isn't very good though, is it possible to move the pump so that it is not below the skimmer body? It might work then.

-RYknow
02/05/2010, 05:21 PM
Unless I am confused about something, I don't think the eshopps will work. I only have 12.5" at the most until it will hit the stand. It isn't possible to mount it in any way that it can hang off the stand or anything. The only picture I can find of it isn't very good though, is it possible to move the pump so that it is not below the skimmer body? It might work then.

Moving the pump isn't going to be an option. Here is a pic of my skimmer. The blue plate you see at the bottom, is the only part that touches the back of the tank. As you can see, I had to use a piece of egg-crate to level the skimmer. If 12.5" is your max, I'm thinking the Eshopps isn't going to work for you. If your able to some how cram it in (possibly modify the stand?), you won't regret it! It's an awesome skimmer!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v150/omega666/Our%2020%20Gallon%20Tank/DSC00882Fixed.jpg

-RYknow

Esabasard
02/05/2010, 05:33 PM
Thank for the picture, it is very helpful. I contacted CPR and they recommended that I use a AeroForce and use something to raise the skimmer up so that it will fit. He said that it will not impact performance at all. Can anyone say good or bad about these?

aykim2188
04/06/2010, 12:24 AM
Do you know how loud aa aeroforce is? I am contemplating between the aeroforce and a tunze nano.

Fish Ace
04/06/2010, 06:29 AM
I have the CPR-BAK it might work for you. I'm not sure I would buy one again though. It's performance after 3 weeks has not been good and there are problems with many bubbles coming out of their return that people have. I solved mine with a 2" PVC end cap.

Esabasard
04/06/2010, 06:59 AM
Do you know how loud aa aeroforce is? I am contemplating between the aeroforce and a tunze nano.

I purchased the aeroforce and it is not silent. There is a constant white noise from it. It is louder than the MP10 that I have on the tank. Also, it is louder than the tunze, but I am happy that I sold the tunze and got the aeroforce. It seems to be performing well for me.

jacksonpt
04/06/2010, 07:30 AM
The eshopps is quiet, yes, but I had terrible luck with the pump. It arrived with a bad impeller (common problem with these), then had the pump fail after about 4 months. Personally, I would NOT recommend it.

evil4g63
04/06/2010, 07:54 AM
i have the warner marine h1 g2 in a 10 gallon for now and i'm very impressed with it's performance. it hangs down about 10" so it should work. i'm getting skim from a tank that only has corals, nothing else. check it out.

SlvrSurfRidr
04/06/2010, 10:16 AM
i have the warner marine h1 g2 in a 10 gallon for now and i'm very impressed with it's performance. it hangs down about 10" so it should work. i'm getting skim from a tank that only has corals, nothing else. check it out.
The Marine H1 is an interesting skimmer, the pump is placed INSIDE the skimmer body (not in the tank). Because of this, there have been several complaints of noise and/or vibration. Are you experiencing any of this?

SlvrSurfRidr
04/06/2010, 10:25 AM
Get the Deltec mc300 HOB skimmer
If you have $300 for a budget, the Deltec mc300 is prolly your best bet:
http://www.marinedepot.com/Deltec_External_Protein_Skimmer_MCE_Series_Hang_On_Venturi_Needle_Wheel_Protein_Skimmers-Deltec_D_D_The_Aquarium_Solution-DD1511-FIPSHONW-vi.html

SlvrSurfRidr
04/06/2010, 10:45 AM
Pics of a Deltec MCE300 installed on a 28g cube:
http://www.ultimatereef.net/forums/showthread.php?t=285137

evil4g63
04/06/2010, 02:04 PM
The Marine H1 is an interesting skimmer, the pump is placed INSIDE the skimmer body (not in the tank). Because of this, there have been several complaints of noise and/or vibration. Are you experiencing any of this?

yes, I did but in the first few weeks because it wasn't broken in yet. I had my doubts but right now i'm impressed of how silent it is. i really recommend it. I had also considered the mce 300 but was to expensive and i got something i BELIEVE is better for less than $200. they're practically the same skimmer except for the cup desing and the pump.

bamse
04/06/2010, 04:49 PM
I have an H1B skimmer for my 30g long. It has not broken in yet, and it is a bit noisy so far (I did not have another skimmer to compare with, but I can tell it is louder than my new Tunze 6025, ATI Sunpower fan or the maxijet1200). I can't wait to see it cool off since my family started to protest after the second evening :)