PDA

View Full Version : Whats the best Tool?

advaquatics
02/04/2010, 04:38 PM
I'm curious to see whats the best tool to use when cleaning an acrylic tank? Over the years I have tried magnets, scrapers and pads and I have had mixed results. Any other tool/scraper out there that works better? I'm currently using the kent marine acrylic scraper(red blade) but I have noticed it wears down really quick and still tends to scratch if not replace regularly. Thanks for any suggestions......

Paul

salavelle
02/04/2010, 06:19 PM
Try an old credit card. It works as good as anything I have ever tried.

SnowManSnow
02/04/2010, 06:21 PM
the absolute BEST tool i've ever purchased for my acrylic tank is a Mighty Magnet. go to www.mightymagnet.com and check them out.

and yes, they are worth the price.

B

costellow
02/04/2010, 06:24 PM
Is acrylic harder to clean than glass? I have acrylic and it's a pain in the #$%@

salavelle
02/04/2010, 06:28 PM
I have not tried one, but I have heard of using a windshield scraper also.

noahm
02/04/2010, 06:36 PM
The Mr. Clean Magic eraser is awesome for acrylic. Just get the original, no detergent one. You do have to get your arms in the tank though.

Indymann99
02/04/2010, 07:27 PM
+1 on Mr Clean Magic Eraser.

thebanker
02/04/2010, 07:41 PM
are you guys kidding about the Mr. Clean? Sounds like it would leach whatever it's made of directly into the water column.

MatthewLaw
02/04/2010, 07:51 PM
hmm i will need to try the credit card idea!!

noahm
02/04/2010, 07:57 PM
are you guys kidding about the Mr. Clean? Sounds like it would leach whatever it's made of directly into the water column.

It doesn't leach anything. Been in use for years by some here on acrylic tanks. There is a thread around here somewhere about it. It will actually polish out fine scratches over time as well. I have been using it for almost a year. I use a kent plastic long-handled scraper for coraline spots.

tkeracer619
02/04/2010, 08:14 PM
Is acrylic harder to clean than glass? I have acrylic and it's a pain in the #$%@

Yes it is because you have to use a plastic blade. The metal blades for glass tanks works a lot better.

With acrylic the easiest way to clean them is to do it often. Daily if you can, it will keep anything from building up on the acrylic.

MatthewLaw
02/04/2010, 08:22 PM
I agree!! A few quick swipes along the glass 2x a day will save an hour of work after ignoring for a week!!

cakemanPA
02/04/2010, 09:08 PM
The Mr. Clean Magic Eraser is fantastic. I use a Mighty Magnet as well. I use the Magic Eraser to get the tough algae

irfisher
02/05/2010, 12:45 AM
Magic eraser sounds interesting. I use one to clean the boat.

Hwang
02/05/2010, 01:05 AM
exacto knife end

lordofthereef
02/05/2010, 05:24 AM
exacto knife end

We are talking about acrylic here right? With all due respect I find it hard to imagine that you use an exacto knife end on your acrylic tank with at scratching the everliving $^&% out of it...

To the OP... if you are talking just normal algal growth (the green/brown stuff that accumulate about weekly, I have found that a good acrylic safe magnet does the trick. I am guessing, though, that your annoyance comes from coralline buildup. For this you will either need a special scraper with an acrylic blade (convenient on a handle if you have a large tank) or just a piece of acrylic works fine too. I assume the credit card trick mentioned above would be alright as well. Frankly IME coralline is a PITA to remove be it on glass or acrylic. If you use the appropriate tools to clean the acrylic I don't feel you risk scratching all that much, although I think some would disagree. It's all about perception IMO. If you don't go at it with a razorblade (which can be tempting since they are so readily available) and get an appropriate tool mentioned above you shouldn't have problems.

I have also heard of people using magic erasers (unscented of course) with great results.

advaquatics
02/05/2010, 09:27 AM
This Mr Clean eraser must be similar to the product that penn plax was gonna bring out but never did , kinda looks like a pad used for scrubbing teflon pans and pots?