PDA

View Full Version : What paint & silicon to use inside tank?

btkrausen
02/04/2010, 07:56 PM
Setting up a tank with 2" holes in the bottom. Plans to use them for drains, just cause they are already there, but want to paint them black to blend into the background.

What paint is safe?

Also, where do I get some good silicon to help clean up my corners. I'd like to razor the little bit of the silicon that has been hit with blades and stuff and run a nice clean line of it down the front corners. (rimless tank)

Thanks.

rogerrgr
02/05/2010, 06:33 AM
First off, it isn't a good idea to just cut out a section of silicone and replace because silicone does not adhere to the other dried silicone well, thus not giving a continuous seal. If it does not look too bad or leak I would leave it be, or just redo the whole inside seal at one time.. And if you decide to go the route of resealing, you can use masking tape to tape where each edge of each side of the bead will be after smothing it out with your damp finger. It gives a nice straight line like from the factory. Make sure to clean glass area to be sealed with rubbing alcohol. And I use GE Silicone I from Lowes, it's about $6 a caulking tube. Make sure and read what's in it, There should NOT be anything stating antifungal in the ingredients, just 100% silicone. GE Silicone II has the antifungal, along with every other brand. Just because a tube is labeled 100% silicone always read the ingredients, many contain a fungiside.. Why spend $20 for the stuff at the pet store! As far as paint, what are you painting, glass? Can't you just paint on the outside? Good luck!
http://aquamaniacs.net/forum/cms_view_article.php?aid=107

btkrausen
02/05/2010, 08:05 AM
Sorry, should have been more clear. I want to paint the PVC that will be inside the tank that will become the overflows. The tank has 2 - 2" holes in the bottom, so I'm going to just make the tank drain through them instead of using an overflow box.

AquaReeferMan
02/05/2010, 08:34 AM
As far as paint goes, Ive always used Krylon Fusion.

LS1 WS6
02/05/2010, 08:36 AM
I don't think I would ever paint anything that was in the water all the time.

bvanhoveln
02/05/2010, 08:53 AM
I agree - don't paint anything that is going in the tank. The pipe will naturally turn green then purple as the algea grows on it.

btkrausen
02/05/2010, 09:31 AM
cool, i'll just hide with rock :) thanks guys

AquaReeferMan
02/05/2010, 09:33 AM
Krylon fusion is fine to use in water. Ive used it plenty of times, for extended periods of time with no issues. Im not going to recommend something that would be detrimental to the system.

mstrpln03
02/05/2010, 10:09 AM
+1 for Krylon Fusion. I have used it on all my diy pvc fittings and overflows.

btkrausen
02/05/2010, 10:09 AM
Great, thanks. I believe I have some at home already, so that works perfectly.