PDA

View Full Version : Live Copepods Question

SaltSolutions1
02/04/2010, 09:11 PM
I just purchased three bottles of this brand "Live Copepods" They claim to be 500 in each bottle. They are completely microscopic. very small. They are the Tigriopus Species according to the bottle.

Any recommendations as to how to get these little guys to grow and multiply. I have a refugium, but I also have a mandarin. I'm scared if I put these in there after dark by tomorrow night after the light has been on all day the fish might already deplete my stock of these guys. any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

Octoshark
02/04/2010, 09:13 PM
You could place some in the fuge to let them multiply, but since you are feeding a mandarin you might need a larger supply. You should consider making your own culture vessels.

SaltSolutions1
02/04/2010, 09:16 PM
Here's the link to the bottles I purchased. I have three of them.

http://www.livecopepods.com/

Any suggestions as to how I can start up a live copepod breeding frenzy? or a way to set up a breeding place for them?

Octoshark
02/04/2010, 09:32 PM
There is a ton of info on copepod culturing online.

Just google "culturing copepods" or "copepod cultures" or something like that and you should find plenty of sources of information.

SaltSolutions1
02/04/2010, 09:37 PM
thanks octoshark

Octoshark
02/04/2010, 09:59 PM
You are welcome.

Also, if you have Tigger Pods (tigriopus sp.), you should look into the temperature requirements for culturing that specific species as they seem to be more of a temperate species (colder water species). I have heard numerous reports of unsuccessful breeding at reef temperatures (high 70's).

jedheuer
02/04/2010, 10:06 PM
put one bottle in the fuge and the others in the display at night. the mandarin will sleep at night so they will have time to disperse and not get wiped out and put the others in the fuge where they will live and breed.

SaltSolutions1
02/04/2010, 10:09 PM
jedheuer,

I put one bottle in my fuge just now since all of the lights are off in my tank minus the lunar lights.

Are you suggesting that I put the other two bottles into the display tank as well and use up all I bought?

Octoshark
02/04/2010, 10:12 PM
If I were you I would not use up your whole supply by dumping them in your display all at once right now or you may find yourself purchasing more bottles when the mandarin depresses the population.

How big is the mandarins tank?

SaltSolutions1
02/04/2010, 10:16 PM
My tank is a 40g breeder. There is a 1" sand bed and about 45 lbs of live rock. In addition to the mandarin, I have several hermits, snails, 2 black percula clowns, 1 baby yellow tang, and a bunch of egg crate, and frags. It's a frag tank.

Texxxx
02/04/2010, 11:21 PM
Culturing them is easy. All you need are buckets, salt water, air pump with line, and food for them. Here is a good link on how to raise them. There are a lot more out there also.
http://www.brineshrimpdirect.com/Raising-Rotifers-or-CopepodsThe-Method-is-the-Same-c199.html

jedheuer
02/04/2010, 11:48 PM
jedheuer,

I put one bottle in my fuge just now since all of the lights are off in my tank minus the lunar lights.

Are you suggesting that I put the other two bottles into the display tank as well and use up all I bought?

Its really up to you. All are valid ways of using the pods. If you feel like culturing them go for it. I would think in a 40 regular pod additions for the mandarin would be great. Is he taking prepared foods? If he is it is a little less important but if he is not then it is a necessity to seed the tank with pods regularly in which case culturing them is a less expensive way to go. It is unlikely that a 40 would produce enough pods to feed him.

Octoshark
02/05/2010, 12:25 AM
Is he taking prepared foods? If he is it is a little less important but if he is not then it is a necessity to seed the tank with pods regularly in which case culturing them is a less expensive way to go. It is unlikely that a 40 would produce enough pods to feed him.

That is a good point, is he accepting frozen food or does he strictly eat live foods?

GreshamH
02/09/2010, 01:00 PM
You are welcome.

Also, if you have Tigger Pods (tigriopus sp.), you should look into the temperature requirements for culturing that specific species as they seem to be more of a temperate species (colder water species). I have heard numerous reports of unsuccessful breeding at reef temperatures (high 70's).

He doesn't have TP as there are 2K-4K in a bottle, not 500 :)

We culture and have cultured TP at reef temps for years and have produced billions. We culture at 75- mid 80's depending on time of year. You'd think since Cali water isn't exactly warm they'd be a temperate species but problem is, they do not live in the ocean. They live in the upper splash zone of which can get into the high 90's in the summer and low 40's in the winter. They also range from Honduras (warm) to Alaska (cold).

Most that have trouble breeding them do not feed enough or have other issues.