PDA

View Full Version : hellfire anemone ambitions

RockinSmall
02/04/2010, 11:51 PM
what should i consider before buying one of these?

WaffleWalffle22
02/05/2010, 12:05 AM
First, you shouldn't even consider it. They will sting and kill everything including almost all anemones. Next, they will eat all of your fish no matter what. Lastly, clowns won't go into them. And they're ugly. If you know all that and just want it in a little separate tank by itself, then good luck! ;)

RockinSmall
02/05/2010, 02:20 PM
ha ha ha ha... point made!!

but, anything hot red and orange isnt ugly!

romsoccer12
02/05/2010, 02:52 PM
+1 on seperate tank. it would look good in maybe a 30gallon with some damsels or something that you wouldnt mind losing. -1 on it looking ugly =)

teesquare
02/05/2010, 03:04 PM
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder....Just ask my wife!:crazy1:
T

JamesJR
02/05/2010, 03:58 PM
I think they can be very elegant looking anemones but they are definitely more appropriate for a species tank.

EvilMel
03/18/2010, 08:27 AM
A bit late at posting BUT you should also know that they pack an absolutely horrific sting...as evidenced by the back of my band barely grazing one of the tentacles and two days later my still stinging hand is breaking out in blisters.

It's about 10x worse than hydroid stings as far as stinging and itching goes. As opposed to hydroids you can immediately tell that you've been stung because it hurts like the dickens and bits of the anemone come off onto your skin, which doesn't seem to bother the anemone one bit. They really are the devil. I'm convinced.

As with hydroids there seems to be some variation in people's skin reaction to the sting. I have really pale/sensitive skin and I'm definitely getting the worst reaction. But even my friend with "carpenter hands" said it hurt like hell.

SNAKEMANVET
03/18/2010, 10:26 AM
I remember seeing one here on reef central that was really red and looked awsome.+1 with evilmel,they pack a painful sting.

RockinSmall
03/19/2010, 08:16 AM
i chose to pass on the anemone and opted for a magnificiant red and green flower anemone from the reef goddess. My beloved 75g sps in progress tank has become an anemone tank. Theres around 9 in there including the mini carpets.