PDA

View Full Version : Coral Prep for tank

Reefer2727
02/05/2010, 08:11 AM
I was wondering what the proper procedure is to introduce any new corals or frags to my DT. I have a good habit of putting any new fish in QT before addition to the DT and was wondering what people do for corals?

Since we get frags and corals that come on rocks and stuff, I am concerned about things like ich. My QT does not have the lighting necessary to provide and good home for my corals so how can I prepare them for my DT and feela good about just tossing them in?

Thanks

mcoomer
02/05/2010, 09:19 AM
I have a new frag pack sitting in my QT right now. They've been there for two weeks and will stay for a bit longer before they go into the DT. Basically, I think that you should follow the same quarantine procedure for corals that you do for fish. Put your new frags on a frag rack or in the bottom of the tank and watch them closely for critters. Every day I check them out making sure that they have good polyp extension and color and checking closely for any signs of parasites.

When it comes time to move the frags to the main tank I'll mix up a small batch of Revive and dip the corals in there for a bit before putting them in the DT. Since I use water from the main tank to fill the QT I don't have to reacclimate them. I just stick them in place. After a few weeks, if I like the way they look and they still have good color and polyp extension I'll break off the frag plug and mount them permanently in place.

Mike

Reefer2727
02/05/2010, 09:25 AM
I dont have the lighting necessary to keep corals happy in my QT. I would be doing more harm than good by keeping them in QT. I was more interested in some sort of dip or acclimation process that will help out.

stubby 58
02/05/2010, 09:34 AM
You can dip them in Revive follow the instructions and then put in DT .

stubby

potterjon
02/05/2010, 09:36 AM
Tropic Marine Pro Coral Cure is what I use. I also know people that use a freshwater dip but I am a little apprehensive about that one.