PDA

View Full Version : Can someone tell me what this creature is?

cdavls17
02/05/2010, 09:43 AM
So I purchased a toadstool the other day and it had a few pink bloches on the toadstool. When i put it in my tank i noticed the pink bloches have moved alittle, then an hour later i am looking at my tank and all of a sudden these long tenticle shot out of it and had little feeler like tentacles looking some what like this-------------/------------/-----/ (sorry for the drawing being so bad but thats all i can work with at the moment) so i was scared that my fish would get hit by it so i stuck my small net in the tank and all of a sudden the tentacle wrapped around the net and tried to pull it....Has anyone ever seen or heard about this to tell me what it is? I took them off the toadstool and killed them but now the toadstool isnt doing so well and I want to return it but I dont know what the thing is to tell the store. Again if someone knows what it is please let me know. Sorry for the pour description of it but thats all it looked like to me.

username in use
02/05/2010, 09:46 AM
This is very difficult without a pic. Try google images and see if you can find something at least similar to show us.

cdavls17
02/05/2010, 09:48 AM
my problem is i quickly disposed of the creatures and i have no clue where to start looking for them on google or anywhere else this is my last resort

DThompson
02/05/2010, 09:51 AM
It sounds like a spaghetti worm, but without pics, hard to say.

Here is a site for you to bookmark.
http://www.chucksaddiction.com/hitchhikers.html

Your toadstool is most likely ok. Give it some time. In the future, dip your corals before placing them in your tank.

cdavls17
02/05/2010, 09:55 AM
Dthompson it was similar to the flatworm but pink and shot out a tentacle that looked like fishing line, but i guess this helped out thank you

DThompson
02/05/2010, 10:07 AM
Dthompson it was similar to the flatworm but pink and shot out a tentacle that looked like fishing line, but i guess this helped out thank you

That's not a flat worm. Besides if it is, you have more. Learn to dip your corals.

Give your toadstool a few days to acclimate.

Good luck.

greenbean36191
02/05/2010, 11:30 AM
It's a benthic ctenophore. They're harmless filter feeders, but they can prevent parts of the leather from extending its tentacles, so people often remove them.