PDA

View Full Version : Frag Tank Q's

Mr. Right
02/05/2010, 10:58 AM
I’m going to be setting up a prop tank in the very near future. It will eventually be plumbed to a shared sump w/ my DT. It’s going to be a standard 20L w/ 4x24watt T5’s. I’d like to get it up and going this wknd if possible; but the sump that I will be making (40B) is not yet complete. I am (soon) upgrading to a larger system, but I’d like to get the prop tank up a running; manly to rid my current DT of my frag racks. Could I set it up with no “real” filtration? The only filtration would be carbon (HOB filter) and LR, is this enough? It’s just for frags, and will have no fish.

Mr. Right
02/05/2010, 02:06 PM
Anyone?

knockout
02/05/2010, 02:26 PM
I have no filtration on my frag tank, I have no fish in it just corals mostly zoanthids so I dont think is necessary in the short term, I will be adding probably a canister filter eventually as the frags always seem to release some sediment and it accumulates on the bottom

knockout
02/05/2010, 02:28 PM
oh I also do not plan on having this tank attached to my DT as I want ultimately use it as a backup system to keep frags of corals I would not want to lose

Mr. Right
02/05/2010, 02:54 PM
Thank you for the input. What are your thoughts on keeping PH in range? I really like the idea of a back up system, BUT I like that the sump/fuge w/ reverse lighting helps soften the PH shifts. Do you run a SB in your prop tank? I was thinking of a remote SB to assist with buffering….

Mr. Right
02/05/2010, 04:49 PM
Anyone else?

knockout
02/05/2010, 09:40 PM
I gave up trying to maintain a leveled ph long time ago too many variables, I even sold my ph monitor as it drove me nuts everytime I walked by it and it was either low or high, took it off... LOL

Mr. Right
02/06/2010, 02:58 PM
Ok lol! I got my 20long last night and ummm...has buy my new DT...couldn't say no. Iluminata (yup another one) for 260 not RR. I got the 20 for 27bucks which was good. Now to the drawing board