PDA

View Full Version : Reef plugs = algae?

Znut Reefer
02/05/2010, 11:28 AM
Has anyone else noticed how these plugs always seem to start having algae grow on them? Mainly Byropis? I've even seen the discs do the same thing. Do they need to be cured before use?

kittyj
02/05/2010, 08:05 PM
I have noticed the same

DThompson
02/05/2010, 08:39 PM
Has anyone else noticed how these plugs always seem to start having algae grow on them? Mainly Byropis? I've even seen the discs do the same thing. Do they need to be cured before use?

I have never noticed it with any plugs and I make my own as well. What plugs specifically are you referring to?

Znut Reefer
02/05/2010, 10:53 PM
These are the ones that are made with a cement mix. I got them off ebay.

Ritten
02/05/2010, 10:54 PM
Great observation. Now that you mention it . . . look forward to more responses.

ludnix
02/06/2010, 12:09 AM
I do notice this however a large factor is simply that they are an excellent substrate for marine algae. Unlike glass or new egg crate, the plugs are very rough and porous and allow bryopsis and other algaes to attach and spread quickly. You will notice scratches on the glass will also allow algae to grow much quicker than anywhere else because it creates a rough substrate for attaching.

It is also possible the plugs are leaching nutrients to the algae, but I think the rough substrate plays a bigger role as most people already have plenty of nutrients for the algae.

lordofthereef
02/06/2010, 12:11 AM
I do notice this however a large factor is simply that they are an excellent substrate for marine algae.

+1

Ever notice how pvc and acrylic are great substrates for coralline? Same basic thing, I think, just this is far less desirable.

CleveYank
02/06/2010, 05:34 AM
Place reefplugs in a high current area in dark sump. After letting them soak and sometimes get coralline growth on them ahead of when you want to mount a coral to them helps alot. The fresh ones do seem to be algae magnets unless they season in the sump. When I'm organized (it flows like a tidal cycle in my fish basement) I soak plugs in this manner for this very reason.

Dejavu
02/06/2010, 06:12 AM
I have noticed it if I don't cure them for a few months. I did a test to see if they where leaking phosphates. I suck them in RO/DI for a week and noticed a large increase in phosphates, don't remember the #'s but it was around .20 ppm after a week. I swicthed to ceramic after that.