PDA

View Full Version : Can Ich be in QT and NOT show signs?

huskysglare1
02/05/2010, 11:58 AM
Can the ich parasite be in your QT tank with your fish and now show signs of the parasite until it's transfered into the tank?

If so, do you have to QT all the fishes, corals, and everything wet that goes into your DT? And all the fish have to be treated with copper?

Will RO dipping kill the Ich Parasite? do you have to dip multiple times or just once?

mstrpln03
02/05/2010, 01:30 PM
If you don't have anything live (rock/sand) in the QT, the easiest way to kill ich is raise the temp to 86 and keep it there for at least 10 days.

mstrpln03
02/05/2010, 01:33 PM
I also should mention ich is present just about everywhere. It's in your DT also but it usually will only affect fish that have compromised immunity systems, due to stress or some other factor.

sfboarders
02/05/2010, 01:34 PM
If you don't have anything live (rock/sand) in the QT, the easiest way to kill ich is raise the temp to 86 and keep it there for at least 10 days.

Where did you find this info from? Raising temperature only calls FW ich not SW ich.

I always eradicate for ich even if the fish do not show signs of it. I've dealt with it before and never want to deal with it again.

Playa-1
02/05/2010, 01:38 PM
Can the ich parasite be in your QT tank with your fish and now show signs of the parasite until it's transfered into the tank?
Yes

If so, do you have to QT all the fishes, corals, and everything wet that goes into your DT?
It's wise not just because of ICH, but there are other diseases and parasites out there that you will not want to release into your tank. Many of which may not show any obvious signs at any given moment.

And all the fish have to be treated with copper?
I try to avoid copper as much as possible. I don't remember the last time I used it. I treat new fish to a fresh water dip, PraziPro and 6 weeks of Hyposalinity. That's also 6 weeks of careful observation for signs of any other illnesses and this process has worked very well for me. The PraziPro and Hyposalinity are both gentle treatments for the fish if done properly.

Will RO dipping kill the Ich Parasite? do you have to dip multiple times or just once?
The RO dip can aid in killing off certain parasites at a specific time in their lifecycle. It's not a replacement for an ICH treatement such as Hypo or Copper. I dip new arrivals for 4 minutes just before they are introduced into the QT.

sfboarders
02/05/2010, 01:47 PM
I also should mention ich is present just about everywhere. It's in your DT also but it usually will only affect fish that have compromised immunity systems, due to stress or some other factor.

Ich needs a fish to host on. If you take your fish out and leave it fallow for 8 weeks the ich will die because it won't complete it's life cycle.

huskysglare1
02/05/2010, 08:56 PM
thanks guys for the helpful replies.