PDA

View Full Version : Big Problems!

Sander1001
02/05/2010, 12:21 PM
My tank is leaking, it's about 7 years old and glass. There is very slowly water leaking out of the back corner in the middle of the tank. It's seeping out the bottom so I can't actually see the leak, just damp wood. My tank is an established SPS with large colonies and alot of rock. Do I drain and empty it and try to re-seal, if so with what, or is it new tank time? If so are any better than others. I plan on expanding when we move in few years so I don't what a big expensive acrylic tank just yet. Thanks

username in use
02/05/2010, 12:26 PM
I would drain that sucker in a hurry, its not worth the risk. You have the option of taking it apart and resealing it, but its a fair amount of work and you are looking at more downtime than if you went out and got a new tank. How big of a tank are we talking about. Maybe go by a little smaller tank and sell off as many of the big colonies as you can, keeping small chunks for the new tank and letting it grow back in. You may be able to get some decent store credit for the large colonies and not have to pay much for a tank. Tough call either way.

Sander1001
02/05/2010, 12:31 PM
90 gal. how long does most sealant take to cure if you know?

DThompson
02/05/2010, 12:36 PM
Anytime I have used sealant I have waited 24 hours. You might want to check in the DIY to see if anyone knows if it's safe to do it sooner.

If it were me, I would buy another 90 rather than try to make a fix. Only because of the amount of time involved.

username in use
02/05/2010, 12:39 PM
Ive read that you should really let it set up for a week before using. And if your tank is leaking out of a seam its really not just squeezing a little silicone in there, you need to remove the panel, clean off all the silicone, reglue the side, and then add the inside bead, then let all of that cure for a week.

If this is for a 90g tank, go buy a new one, the cost and time are not worth it.

LS1 WS6
02/05/2010, 12:53 PM
I would not risk it, I would just buy a new tank and move everything over. If it started to leak there you never know what will happen to the rest of the joints in the near future.

Engine8ff
02/05/2010, 01:16 PM
I agree, with a tank that has a little age on it by the time you fix one leak another may appear. The thing you need to think about is these joints have had water pressing against them for 7 years and now you are going to take that away causing the tank to flex, ie creating new leaks. If it was me I would go with a new tank.

desi04
02/05/2010, 01:42 PM
My doctor just had a new tank made from glass cages & they recommended that he let the tank stay dry for 3 weeks to let the silicon cure.
try duct tape on the leak you will be surprised how well it works have used it for emergencies.

miztahphong2
02/05/2010, 02:03 PM
this may be a bit ridiculous but mighty putty? lol that stuff that works even on leaks? the leak definately has to be delt with. its a matter of getting a new tank or taking it apart and sealing it up and letting the silicone cure. one thing for sure imo it wouldnt be wise to rush the silicone. especially with all your coral colonies. good luck

vandj
02/05/2010, 02:10 PM
i second the lots of duct tape...

knockout
02/05/2010, 02:21 PM
an used 90 gallon is easy to come by, local clubs, craigs list, e-bay, are you affiliated with a local club? if you are I am sure you can borrow a few smaller tanks to hold the corals while re-scape. I would swap tanks ASAP, your $$ investment should be minimal, lots of work to get things moved, offer frags for help!

Shane Hoffman
02/05/2010, 02:31 PM
On two occasions I have seen my LFS use that two part putty we all use for frags and corals seal a leak. What they do is mix up a whole tube of it real good and roll it into a ball. Then they just smash it down over the leak. One has been set up like that dor 2 years now. They said they tried to smash it into seams.

knockout
02/05/2010, 02:36 PM
problem is he is saying he cant even see the leak do to the maturity of his colonies... swap the tank and save yourself a lot of trouble and sleepless nights

Sander1001
02/05/2010, 03:22 PM
Thanks, its just a such a waste of money replacing the same thing. I wish I could try some epoxy or puddy, but I can't even get to the leak without breaking they whole thing down. Wow there goes 8 hours of work to swap things over.

JeF4y
02/05/2010, 03:33 PM
Thanks, its just a such a waste of money replacing the same thing. I wish I could try some epoxy or puddy, but I can't even get to the leak without breaking they whole thing down. Wow there goes 8 hours of work to swap things over.

8 hours?!?! Are you superman or what? It takes me like 3 days start-to-finish and I have a small tank...

LS1 WS6
02/05/2010, 03:36 PM
It may suck but it's a lot better than having the entire tank contents on your floor! Just think of all the cleaning you will be able to do, it will be nice and shiny when your all done.

username in use
02/05/2010, 03:36 PM
8 hours?!?! Are you superman or what? It takes me like 3 days start-to-finish and I have a small tank...

Are you Mollasses man? lol

garzaci
02/05/2010, 09:05 PM
Break it down, find the leak and put the epoxy on it. Plus put some duct tape on the outside. We use it at work for everything and it works wonders. Then refill. It should buy you some time to get a new tank. Just don't take the water out because the lack of pressure can cause shifting that might leave more leaks.

cujo6984
02/05/2010, 09:43 PM
personally for a 90 gallon i would just get a new tank 200 bucks now or coming home tomorrow to a wet floor and rip corals ?????

Sander1001
02/06/2010, 08:30 AM
New tank purchased.

snorvich
02/06/2010, 08:32 AM
If it were me, I would buy another 90 rather than try to make a fix. Only because of the amount of time involved.

That is what I would do. Or use it as an excuse to upgrade.

davew0670
02/06/2010, 08:34 AM
been here before. Good luck with that 8 hour thing!

Special_Ed
02/06/2010, 09:15 AM
Went through the same thing in December with softies and LPS. Tank went from a small leak to water shooting out the seam within 1/2 hour. Act fast. Get the new tank. I lost 5 years worth of everything.

knockout
02/06/2010, 12:04 PM
New tank purchased.

way to go! you will not regret your decision, now buy the beer and get some buddies to come over! :spin1:

if its any consolation I will be empting out my 215g this summer just because I want to remove the internal overflows! :eek:

Hillbilly318
02/06/2010, 12:32 PM
i had bought a 85 gal tank, filled it and noticed a leak, so i know what its like to have to do that, we ended up cutting alllll the silicone out of it and using "all glass" aquarium silicone, and re-sealing it.

it took 3 days for me to trust it enough to put new water in it, but i did and shes grand!