PDA

View Full Version : Some suggestions for first set up...

MissMTS
02/05/2010, 12:24 PM
I am looking to do a nano reef for my first saltwater set up. I have looked at a lot of the all-in-one kits (since they seem like the simplest option for a newbie like me), but I have no clue what is good and what is not. I was looking at the JBJ Nano Cube since Drs. Foster and Smith have a good deal on them right now.

http://www.fosterandsmithaquatics.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=3578+3730+18694&pcatid=18694

If I were to go with this setup, what kinds of corals, anemones, inverts, ect could I include? I am not looking for anything too challenging since this is my first shot at a setup like this and I have plenty of time to try out the harder stuff later.

Also, I have a gift certificate to www.liveaquaria.com that I have to use up, and I am wondering if anyone has any experience with their live rock. I was looking at the fiji rock as a good option since I have read good things about fiji rock in general, but I am not sure about this source. Any thoughts?

I appreciate you guys letting me pick your brains for answers! I look forward to learning from everyone here :)

Kate

fleming3
02/05/2010, 03:05 PM
Hey Kate,

I think you'll like this setup if you go with it. I ran this one myself for about 3 years (It's actually still running because I'm currently upgrading to a 90G). There are some great modifications out there for this tank , like the actinic upgrade: http://www.nanotuners.com/product_info.php?cPath=68&products_id=409 And as you'll probably notice by looking at the special interest forums here on RC, Nano tanks have a huge, dedicated following.

With the metal halide lighting system you'll be able to keep everything from mushrooms to small polyp stony corals (SPS), Large Polyp Stony corals (LPS) to clams. However, since this is your first set up, I'd definitely start slow with some soft corals like zoanthids and mushrooms until you get the habits of a successful reefer down cold. If you do a forum search for beginner corals you'll find tons of helpful info.

Also, make sure to do plenty of reading if you haven't already - the sticky threads started by "Waterkeeper" here in the New to the Hobby" forum are a fantastic resource.

As far as liveaquaria.com goes, I can't say enough great things about them. I've bought the majority of my corals and supplies there, and I've found them to be an excellent supplier.

Here are some pictures of my 28G HQI right before I broke it down:
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=1358&pictureid=9000

Top Down
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=1358&pictureid=8999

thegrun
02/05/2010, 03:47 PM
I have had a JBJ28 HQI running for about a year. I made the actinic upgrade (the corals look much better) and eventualy replaced the stock MH bulb with a Radium. I love the tank, the only bad thing about it is the skimmer, which you will want to upgrade as soon as possible.

IslandCrow
02/05/2010, 03:59 PM
One thing you may want to think about is that smaller tanks are actually much more challenging than larger tanks, especially if this is your first one. If you have the funds and the space, I'd definitely think of something around 50-100 gallons. The larger water volume makes for a much more stable and more forgiving tank.

But, if you want to go with a nano, the all-in-one setups are actually quite nice. I have a 12g Aquapod, and other than the fact that acrylic and I don't get along very well, I really like it. There are always debates on whether the JBJ is better than the Aquapod or whatever else is out there, but I think they're all pretty similar, and I haven't heard any serious complaints about any of them. Metal halide lighting is a good way to go (I wish I'd opted for that), as aside from the flexibility it gives you with corals down the road, you also have a much larger selection of bulbs to choose from to get the look you want.

Do a lot of reading, and ask a lot of questions, preferrably before you buy anything. I'm afraid I don't have any experience with the Live Aquaria rock, but I've always been very happy with everything I've ordered from them. Waterkeeper's thread that fleming suggested is indeed a very good (and entertaining) read. A good book to pick up is The Conscientious Marine Aquarist. It's supposed to be an excellent book. Although I haven't read it personally, I feel comfortable recommending it, as it's constantly getting the highest praise around here. I know Amazon carries it if you're interested.

MissMTS
02/07/2010, 01:46 AM
One thing you may want to think about is that smaller tanks are actually much more challenging than larger tanks, especially if this is your first one. If you have the funds and the space, I'd definitely think of something around 50-100 gallons. The larger water volume makes for a much more stable and more forgiving tank.

But, if you want to go with a nano, the all-in-one setups are actually quite nice. I have a 12g Aquapod, and other than the fact that acrylic and I don't get along very well, I really like it. There are always debates on whether the JBJ is better than the Aquapod or whatever else is out there, but I think they're all pretty similar, and I haven't heard any serious complaints about any of them. Metal halide lighting is a good way to go (I wish I'd opted for that), as aside from the flexibility it gives you with corals down the road, you also have a much larger selection of bulbs to choose from to get the look you want.

Do a lot of reading, and ask a lot of questions, preferrably before you buy anything. I'm afraid I don't have any experience with the Live Aquaria rock, but I've always been very happy with everything I've ordered from them. Waterkeeper's thread that fleming suggested is indeed a very good (and entertaining) read. A good book to pick up is The Conscientious Marine Aquarist. It's supposed to be an excellent book. Although I haven't read it personally, I feel comfortable recommending it, as it's constantly getting the highest praise around here. I know Amazon carries it if you're interested.

Thanks so much for the recommendations. I am definitely planning on doing a lot of reading. There is so much its a little daunting to be honest. I'll definitely look into ordering that book.

I do know that larger tanks are easier to start out with when it comes to Saltwater, which is why I opted for one of the larger nano kits. However, I am moving into a smaller apartment, and this tank is replacing my large freshwater tanks that I sadly have to part with, so staying on the smaller side is key.

I have had a JBJ28 HQI running for about a year. I made the actinic upgrade (the corals look much better) and eventualy replaced the stock MH bulb with a Radium. I love the tank, the only bad thing about it is the skimmer, which you will want to upgrade as soon as possible.

Thanks for the feedback :) I will look into doing the lighting upgrade, it just depends on what my budget will allow. That's nice to know about the skimmer. Do you have any recommendations on good ones to replace it with?

Hey Kate,

I think you'll like this setup if you go with it. I ran this one myself for about 3 years (It's actually still running because I'm currently upgrading to a 90G). There are some great modifications out there for this tank , like the actinic upgrade: http://www.nanotuners.com/product_info.php?cPath=68&products_id=409 And as you'll probably notice by looking at the special interest forums here on RC, Nano tanks have a huge, dedicated following.

With the metal halide lighting system you'll be able to keep everything from mushrooms to small polyp stony corals (SPS), Large Polyp Stony corals (LPS) to clams. However, since this is your first set up, I'd definitely start slow with some soft corals like zoanthids and mushrooms until you get the habits of a successful reefer down cold. If you do a forum search for beginner corals you'll find tons of helpful info.

Also, make sure to do plenty of reading if you haven't already - the sticky threads started by "Waterkeeper" here in the New to the Hobby" forum are a fantastic resource.

As far as liveaquaria.com goes, I can't say enough great things about them. I've bought the majority of my corals and supplies there, and I've found them to be an excellent supplier.

Here are some pictures of my 28G HQI right before I broke it down:
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=1358&pictureid=9000

Top Down
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=1358&pictureid=8999

Wow, your tank looks great! Thanks for sharing pics, its definitely inspiring for me to see what other people have done with this setup. I'm glad to hear you have had good experience ordering corals from Live Aquaria. I have never ordered from them, mainly because with my freshwater setups I have had tons of friends and contacts as sources for my plants and fish.

As far as corals go, I actually really like the mushrooms, so I am fine with starting out with them :) I know that green star polyps are easy to grow as well, and I really like the look of them also.

I am a little confused on how to stock a reef tank since the guidelines are so different from freshwater. I would like to do a pair of clowns and a collection of small gobies, but I'm not sure how many I can fit. I have also heard good things about dwarf pipefish. Any recommendations?

Thanks everyone for all of the help!

Kate

bertoni
02/07/2010, 04:53 PM
A 29g tank would be fine for a pair of percula or ocellaris clownfish and maybe a couple of very small goby fishes. Pipefish require a tank of their own, usually, since they tend to be hard to feed and very shy.

MissMTS
02/07/2010, 05:46 PM
A 29g tank would be fine for a pair of percula or ocellaris clownfish and maybe a couple of very small goby fishes. Pipefish require a tank of their own, usually, since they tend to be hard to feed and very shy.

Good to know about the pipefish. The clowns and gobies sound good to me :)