PDA

View Full Version : setting heater temp on a RKL

Vanquishxxxx
02/05/2010, 02:03 PM
when setting the tempature on the actual heater, do you want to set it as high as it goes and jsut let the rkl turn it on at the desired temp , or should i only turn it up to like 82? since i keep my tank at 79. and have set the rkl to turn on at 79

ChadTheSpike
02/05/2010, 02:24 PM
have it set a little above the RKL setting... having it set this way gives you another line of defense if the RKL or the temperature probe malfunctions somehow.

skibum9884
02/05/2010, 02:24 PM
I've thought about this too. I don't think it should matter as long as it is above the temperature you want to keep your tank at. As far as how high, I doubt you'd have the RKL get stuck in the "on" position, so I'd put it at 84 or 85 just to be sure that if the thermostat inside the heater goes bad it will still function.

Someone with more experience should comment, but that's how I feel.

mcoomer
02/05/2010, 02:46 PM
Actually, any of these switchable outlets can stick so you should plan on it happening and set the thermostat so that it's just above the setpoint in your controller. DA gives specific guidelines on using the PC4 outlets to minimize the possibility that one might stick on but it can't hurt to be prepared for it to happen in your tank.

smirkis
02/05/2010, 03:14 PM
going by a heaters thermostat is unreliable... my heaters are set at 70 but my tanks temps were always at 80. i set it at 80 and i had a heated tank at 90.. atmespheric conditions have a lot to do with that internal thermostat.. so this is what i did

my tank stayed stable at 79 if my heater was at 69 lol, so i set my heater at 75 which would normally be about 85 in my tank depending on atmespheric conditions...

then i set my rkl at my requested temp. if my rkl freaked out (which i highly doubt it would) my internal thermostat heater would kill itself at 85* (hopefully)

goodluck. i hate internal heater thermostats and NEVER rely on them. i adjust accordingly regularly depending on atmerspheric conditions