PDA

View Full Version : ANNOYING!!! please help!!

WhoDat?
02/05/2010, 03:25 PM
Ok I got this white residue on my tank... I set it up and its been running for about 2 months... I had PC lighting and it really didn't bother me... now I have MH lighting and its HORRIBLE!!!...I bought it used and it was half full for about 4 months.... so from the half way line up to the top of the tank it has a white residue on it that I can't get off!!!!.... I posted this before and I got a reply to use vinegar and water.... so here is what I did...

Drained the tank to below the half way line... sprayed the vinegar and water (mostly vinegar) and tried to scrape it off with a razor ... no luck... so today I drained the tank again this morning.... I sprayed the glass.... then soaked some paper towel in the mixture and stuck it to the glasss to keep it wet.. Its been wet all day now... I removed the paper and I STILL CAN"T SCRAPE IT OFF!!!

Does anyone else have any suggestions? All I have in there is about 70lbs of LR and 3 damsels....

phurst
02/05/2010, 04:40 PM
Can't think of a way with the tank up and running. The only way I can think of is to drain the tank and refill with a muratic acid/water mix. That'll do it, but obviously you'd have to break the tank down.

WhoDat?
02/05/2010, 06:00 PM
What if I were to drain the tank below the line then tape it off.... and use some plastic wrap like vis-queen,.... to cover the water..... then i would repeat the process that I did above.... you think it will dry and be OK to fill back up a few hours later? risky i know... but its either that or buy a whole new tank.... which I don't want to do..... thanks for the help!!

SMITTY27030
02/05/2010, 06:07 PM
think you may be stuck into having to break down the tank..do you know what was in it before??

WhoDat?
02/05/2010, 06:20 PM
yes it was a reef tank.... when I got it it was half full of salt water.... it had 2 powerheads circulating the water with some sand in it.....

If I were to drain it.... what ratio of muratic acid to water do I use? will it stay in the silicone seams and harm the tank later? how long should I let it sit and dry? is this guaranteed to work? where do I get muratic acid?

phurst
02/05/2010, 07:22 PM
Is this for the 90 in your sig? I'd use at least a gallon. You can get it at ant hardware store. It's used for cleaning concrete and masonry. It wont be absorbed into the silicone. Fill the tank, toss in a powerhead and the acid, let it circulate overnight. Drain and rinse, you should have no problem scraping anything thats left on the glass.

WhoDat?
02/05/2010, 07:31 PM
Ok so you recommend about one gallon of muratic acid for every 100 gallons of water.... thanks.... is there anything special i should know about the acid? dangers? Ihave never used it before.... thanks...

undrtkr_00
02/05/2010, 07:41 PM
1 whole gallon? That's pretty potent for the stuff I have worked with.

Yes, use gloves and protective eyeware when working with the acid. Good luck. :beer:

phurst
02/05/2010, 07:49 PM
Yes, gloves and goggles. Don't get it on you or your clothes, and be careful where you pour it out. 1 gallon of acid in 90 of water doesn't seem excessive to me, but I certainly could be wrong. I tend to be a little heavy with the acid though because I'm lazy and don't enjoy using elbow grease :)

WhoDat?
02/05/2010, 08:24 PM
me neither..... thanks... I guess I'll give it a try when I get time..... not looking forward to it.....

eric@tampa
02/05/2010, 08:55 PM
Would not hurt to wear a resperator

r-balljunkie
02/05/2010, 09:51 PM
thats nasty stuff. i would lessen the dilutation rate.
20:1 is good.
c

Chiefsurfer
02/05/2010, 10:07 PM
Pure acids are HORRIBLE. I never personally worked with muriatic, BUT, I have worked with a combo of hydrochloric, aceatic, and phosphuric acid(boat cleaner), and even like fine spray of water with the stuff was a SEVERE irratant to the skin, and had little pock-like marks all over my skin.

I suggest wearing gloves, goggles, long-sleeve clothes that you don't care about, and a respirator. If it is anything like what I have used, it will burn your sinus something wicked, and that usually means its not good for the rest of your body.

On a lighter note, and MAY BE POSSIBLE without draining is this: Use pure vinegar. Get a brand new sponge. The best one to work with is one of those soft sponges with the nylon or cotton webbing around them. Make sure obviously, it does not have deodorants fragrances or soaps. pour a bit of vinegar on the sponge, and go to town. I had a ring of calcium from hard water in a FW tank. The tank was 55 gallons, and yes, maybe it did take me 4 hours to do, and a TON of elbow grease, but i got it done, and without having to use horrible acids.

salty joe
02/06/2010, 07:42 AM
Maybe try a magic eraser? They are a super fine abrasive. A longshot, but not much trouble-who knows?

jmski333
02/06/2010, 07:58 AM
i was told to do a 10:1 mix for live rock, im not sure what you'd use for cleaning an aquarium.
Definitely do this in a well ventilated area, outside would be your best options but maybe in a garage with the door open would work too. Stuff is very potent. i would advise you to avoid inhaling the acid at all. Dont be intimidated though, its going to work.

noahm
02/06/2010, 09:21 AM
i was told to do a 10:1 mix for live rock, im not sure what you'd use for cleaning an aquarium.
Definitely do this in a well ventilated area, outside would be your best options but maybe in a garage with the door open would work too. Stuff is very potent. i would advise you to avoid inhaling the acid at all. Dont be intimidated though, its going to work.

+1 on doing this outside w/good long chemical resistant gloves. It is the bits of splashing and inhaling that you will find irritating. It is not going to burn through your flesh like in the cartoons, but a drip will sting. Don't forget your eyes. Once it is all diluted in the tank, it will be much less of a concern except for fumes. You will find it in the concrete/masonry section of the hardware store typically as it is used to clean off concrete residue etc.

r-balljunkie
02/06/2010, 10:54 AM
On more thing with muratic acid, if too strong, it will etch glass. Vinegar and elbow grease is safe. Have you tried to scrape the glass with a razor?

SnowManSnow
02/06/2010, 10:57 AM
this is a GLASS tank and not acrylic... right?

WhoDat?
02/06/2010, 11:28 AM
Thanks for the help.... Yes this is a glass tank... I tried vinegar and water .... And straight vinegar.... Each time I tried new razor blades.... I will try ANYTHING ELSE.... before taking down the whole tank... So I will try the sponge and vinegar.... Then the magic eraser.... What about some kind of fine wire sponge?..... Like a Brillo pad... Without the soap of course.... I think I saw something like this at lowes?

WhoDat?
02/27/2010, 05:18 PM
Just an update..... I have the tank broken down and I have it outside.... Its full and I used 2 gallons of Muratic Acid in 90 gallons of water...... I also have a powerhead circulating the water... I will try cleaning it tomorrow.... If this doesn't work... is there any other suggestions since I have the tank in pieces already????