PDA

View Full Version : reeflo dart and current leak

sowellj
02/05/2010, 05:00 PM
The other week, I was getting shocked putting my hand into my tank. I isolated the problem to my return pump, a reeflo dart. I had a back up dart (brand new), so I hooked it up and all was well. Now, two weeks later, the new pump is leaking current again. GRrrr. Can I just fix this w/a grounding probe? Thanks for the help.

Shane Hoffman
02/05/2010, 05:08 PM
Here is my response to a similar question in the New to the hobby forum.......

The first thing I would do is figure out exactly how much stray voltage you have. You may have a lot coming from one piece of equipment or you may have 14 volts coming from 14 pieces of equipment. I have seen it both ways. If you have one thing causing a drastic spike I would replace it. I cant offer a definitive opinion on the ground probe. I have read way to many differing opinions on their usage. ome say they cause more harm than good. Their theory is that when installing a ground probe you are completing a circuit. Then when something wonders in the path of said circuit it feels the shock of the total stray voltage in the tank. Thes same people say it is better to not have one and then worst case scenario is the livestock only feel minimum amounts occasionally. My problem with that theory is that if an animal feels a shock that means it is completing the circuit, now is it feeling all of the stray voltage or just a bit....IDK. What I do know is that energy takes the path of least resistance so wether it is a fish or a ground probe it could be either or at any given time. I truly wish someone would do some experiment and nail this one down. I am guessing its hard to hook up electrical sensitivity devices to fish to find out...anyhow all of that probably didnt help alot....heres is what I do, and I am having great success with all of my coral and fish at the moment. I have 13volts of stray voltage. These 13 volts come from 17 different pieces of equipment in my tank. I kid you not, EVERY piece of equipment that touches my water leaks a minimum of .3 volts up to 1.1volts. I have chosen not to use a ground probe and still have success. I am of the group of people that say if it aint broke dont fix it. If I ever have problems I cant attribute to something I will try the ground plug. Until then it will be status quo.......

tkeracer619
02/05/2010, 05:10 PM
How did you source it to your pump?

IMO you missed something. It wouldn't be impossible but I highly doubt you had two reeflo pumps start leaking electricity into the water. These are external pumps and the shaft does not come in contact with the water at all. You would have to have a major malfunction with the motor AND a seal leak. I doubt the pump would be operating at all if there was voltage on the shaft.

IME look elsewhere for your voltage leak.

sowellj
02/05/2010, 05:29 PM
In both cases ... I killed electricity to the pump, and was no longer getting shocked. Very strange I agree. I will double check.

sowellj
02/05/2010, 06:01 PM
all or other pieces of equipment running ... no shock. Turn the new pump back on, shock returns.

sowellj
02/05/2010, 07:28 PM
Well, I can't figure out how the reeflo is leaking voltage, but it is. Strange that the GFCI does not trip. I suppose the current leakage when I touch the water (w/out shoes on) is minimal. I guess at this point I just accept it as is. Fish and coral should be ok as nothing is in there to complete the circuit.

sowellj
02/05/2010, 08:55 PM
anyone else have this issue w/darts?

slief
02/13/2010, 12:20 PM
Sounds to me like you have an issue with the circuit or the socket that the reeflo is plugged into. I would have an electrician come to double check. GFCI's do go bad and these are highly corrosive enviornments.