PDA

View Full Version : Ozonated RO water for reef

Asterix
02/05/2010, 06:12 PM
I swear I googled this :) Couldn't find anything

My fish store closed early due to the impending snow - my rodi unit isn't up and running....I went to the grocery and bought some RO + Ozonated water for top off...I knew not to use distilled due to possible copper.

Is this stuff safe? I know it might have some dissolved solids, but right now its my only option.

Thoughts?
Thanks
-asterix

Asterix
02/05/2010, 07:12 PM
lol guys, my pumps blowing bubbles I need to top off ;) Any ideas on this?
Thanx

Asterix
02/05/2010, 08:54 PM
...You let me down lol - I hope this doesn't crash my reef :( Ill wait 5 more minutes for a response then I HAVE TO ADD the water

cman_pogey
02/05/2010, 09:57 PM
Sorry dude, I wish I could help I just dont know what I could tell you, I dont want to mislead you either way. I hope someone on here that has more experience can tell you something. Good luck

DThompson
02/05/2010, 10:01 PM
You should be fine. If you are really freaked out by it you could always aerate it for a while and or pour it in slow. Randy would be the best to ask about this. I think you are ok though.

lordofthereef
02/06/2010, 12:39 AM
Don't some people use ozone generators specifically for their reef tanks? I have no experience in that field, but I think you should be just fine.

CleveYank
02/06/2010, 06:34 AM
It will not hurt a thing.

Ozone in the case of RO drinking water that has been bottled is another means for a sterilizer and maximizes shelf life. And there should be no residual 03 "locked" into the solution.

I've used ozone on my reef tanks for years. But in the case of a generator hooked to a reef tank you need to use carbon both in the saltwater and air outputs to nuetralize the 03 ions.