PDA

View Full Version : Need advice on tank transfer

laredo300c
02/05/2010, 07:04 PM
hey guys, well finally it's time to transfer everything from my sumpless 55g into a brand new sumpless 120g. my initial plan ( any advice is welcomed)

1. do a 10g water change on friday ( keep water in bin) with pump
2 do a 10g water change on saturday (keep water in bin) with pump
3 do a 10 g water change on sunday ( keep water in bid ) with pump
4 transfer existing water, live rock and livestock from 55g to 120g, then add 30 gallons from bins into 120g.
my question is if it is a sumpless system and everything is from an already established tank, will the new 120g go thru a cycle ...thanks guy..hope i explained my self correctly any advice will be appreciated thanks

kware
02/05/2010, 08:08 PM
I'm in the same boat as you. I'm stitching from a 90 to a 120. Big pain. I don't think your new setup will go through a cycle. I would also like to hear all the advice I can get.

garzaci
02/05/2010, 08:16 PM
I believe if you put the same sand in the new tank it will cycle because you'll be mixing it up. Probably not to big of a cycle though.

laredo300c
02/05/2010, 08:31 PM
no sand will be new, 3 years who knows how much will be stirred up if i use the same sand

jbird69
02/05/2010, 11:47 PM
I just went thru a transfer very successfully. Your regiment with your water sounds very well thought out. I wasnt even that careful. I put in all new sand and live rock, put in new water that was calibrated exaxtly with my existing water....temp, sg, ca, alk mg. I took the time and got these perameters exact. Once I put the new water in I started moving livestock. As I worked my way down the tank removing stuff I would transfer more and more existing water to the new tank trying not to leave anything high and dry for too long.

I then added about 2 cups of my existing sand and threw the rest out.

Everyone told me no matter how well it goes, be prepared to lose a coral or two. Didnt lose a single one and they look great.

I think using your existing sand can be extremely risky and not worth taking the chance.

I did not see a cycle but I did have a small diatom bloom

lordofthereef
02/06/2010, 12:15 AM
Your regiment with your water sounds very well thought out.

I agree. I have had success doing far less. Basically get parameters the same as that of the smaller tank water and dump it all right in. You methods sound far more thorough, which is a good thing. As long as params are the same you should be fine either way.