PDA

View Full Version : RO/DI Help

chatyak
02/05/2010, 08:04 PM
Hi Folks,

I have a bit of an issue here. I own one of those "Level Loc" top off devices. It's a great product, however it only works with RO/DI or a gravity fed system. I cannot use the gravity fed system anymore due to circumstances, so I want to know about my RO/DI unit.

Questions:

1) How far can the RO/DI unit be away from the Level-Loc device? Right now, my unit is next to the laundry sink and is about 25-30ft. away (going along the walls) and it would have to go up 1-2ft. then drop back down towards the sump. All of this would be an L-shape. If I turned the RO/DI on, would it reach that device is this too much head-distance room?

2) How does an RO/DI unit work with an auto-shut off valve? Wouldn't my monthly water bill be out of this world with a unit always on? That means the tap would always be running wouldn't it? My unit connects like a garden hose connection to the faucet. I'm trying to understand how when the unit itself shuts off due to backpressure, the tap connection also stops.

3) I'm trying to think of what I could do without spending too much money. I don't know how to plumb things and our basement is an older sewer system. I'm assuming someone would have to connect a new utility sink through the concrete floor somehow - unless I used one of those Saniflo systems.

I also thought of a Tunze Oslomator Top off but I don't want to spend another $200 then another $70 on a pump.

Thanks for the help!

nstiesi
02/05/2010, 08:12 PM
As for number 2: They make pressure sensing mechanical devices that, when sensing that the float valve has shut down the output flow, will in turn shut down the input flow to the membrane so that the waste line will not continue to run.

Like this: http://purelyh2o.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage.tpl&product_id=103&category_id=33&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=118

chatyak
02/05/2010, 08:31 PM
So in essence, when the auto shut off valve kicks in - it essentially turns the tap "off", almost as if one were to turn the tap to the off position - even though the tap is still on?

nstiesi
02/06/2010, 12:01 AM
Thats how I understand it, though I don't have one of my own.....yet. I need one; just tonight I forgot about the RO for a few hours. An overflow is in my near future.

lordofthereef
02/06/2010, 12:48 AM
So in essence, when the auto shut off valve kicks in - it essentially turns the tap "off", almost as if one were to turn the tap to the off position - even though the tap is still on?

It simply stops flowing water through it. If it is easier for you to think the tap is off (I am assuming you have it screwed onto a faucet or something similar rather than plumbed beneath a sink?) then that is fine. Your water will only be running through the RO unit when the RO unit needs to produce water.

One thing to caution you about though is that the first few seconds of water production is the less pure water and many don't like to use an RO unit as an auto top-off because of that fact (shorts "bursts" of water always being produced means you are adding in all of the unclean water every time). For this reason I like to make it a habit to toss the first 5-10 seconds of water I produce. The other issue is if anything fails you have the potential of that RO getting stuck on, flooding your tank. If that goes for a while it can crash the tank, not to mention damage your floors/walls/etc. depending on the severity.

In short, I personally would reconsider how you plan to set this up.

chatyak
02/06/2010, 12:54 AM
It simply stops flowing water through it. If it is easier for you to think the tap is off (I am assuming you have it screwed onto a faucet or something similar rather than plumbed beneath a sink?) then that is fine. Your water will only be running through the RO unit when the RO unit needs to produce water.

One thing to caution you about though is that the first few seconds of water production is the less pure water and many don't like to use an RO unit as an auto top-off because of that fact (shorts "bursts" of water always being produced means you are adding in all of the unclean water every time). For this reason I like to make it a habit to toss the first 5-10 seconds of water I produce. The other issue is if anything fails you have the potential of that RO getting stuck on, flooding your tank. If that goes for a while it can crash the tank, not to mention damage your floors/walls/etc. depending on the severity.

In short, I personally would reconsider how you plan to set this up.

Hi LOTR,

Thanks for the explanation. Yes I have considered that, as well as the start up water.

The only reason I was considering this option is because of the top off device I have. The device itself has a shut off switch when the float rises, as well as a solenoid and an electrical shut off. All of that plus the auto-shut off valve on the RO/DI.

I would like to have it setup where my water is in a brute bin on the floor next to the sump and get's pumped in, however I am not sure how to connect the pump to my Level-Loc.

Thank you

chatyak
02/06/2010, 02:06 AM
Wait.. I have a "toms aqua lifter" pump. Could I connect that to my device and run them both at the same time on a timer each day?

How much damage would it create to the aqua-lifter if there was backpressure on it?

nstiesi
02/06/2010, 07:51 AM
I am not familiar with the Level-Loc, but if you have an aqualifter, all you need is a good float switch and you should be good to go.

For instance, I have an aqualifter in a 5 gallon bucket next to the tank, and it is plugged into a float switch kit from autotopoff.com. The kit just consists of the float switches and a relay brick to plug the pump into. It can be as simple as that.

I wouldn't run the ato with a timer.....too much uncertainty.