PDA

View Full Version : Small Daily W/C vs Large Weekly W/C

ssublime1
02/05/2010, 09:23 PM
I've started a small experiment doing daily 1 gallon or so W/C's in my approx 60 gal total system. Up until now I've been doing about a 10% water change either every week or every other week. Usig this method I will achieve the same volume of water replaced.

My thinking is instead of allowing things to build up and getting rid of some of it at once through one large change, if I outpace the rate of "nasties" deposited it should result in an overall healthier system. Another concern is in doing large changes and everything it involves (shutting off flow, etc.) is the general upset of stasis in the tank.

I've done 1 gal changes for the past 4 days and noticed a slow down in unwanted growth it seems. Of course this could be wishful thinking, but if you have a reef tank you know how that goes. :D
Has anyone tried or is currently using a similar method? Any actual benefits noted?

r-balljunkie
02/05/2010, 09:47 PM
very interesting. not a new concept, but i was thinking of automating 1-2 gallons a day, WC in my never ending efforts to be lazy. will be nice to see others chime in and respond.

c