PDA

View Full Version : Species ID

CharlesVI
02/05/2010, 10:30 PM
http://i698.photobucket.com/albums/vv342/CharlesVI/Tank/IMG_1543.jpg

Can anyone give me an id on the species of seahorse that this is, and if you can id it could you also give me any species specific info that I should know such as temp. I have the tank at 74-75 right now and was wondering if that was good. Also if you could tell if it is a male or female that would be awesome. If you need a better pic I can get one tomorrow.

Thanks in advance for any and all help.

Octoshark
02/06/2010, 01:40 PM
A closer/more clear pic would be helpful. Sometimes you can determine male/female by looking for a pouch or an extra flap of skin in the lower abdomen, although sometimes it is not that easy. Males will have a pouch or extra flap of skin.

The temperature you have it at right now is good, you shouldn't go higher than that.

Elysia
02/06/2010, 03:56 PM
It will help to know where you are located, at least at the country level.

TamiW
02/06/2010, 07:25 PM
My guess at a glance is H. kelloggi female. A better picture of the side profile would be helpful. When you got it, did you get it from a store, or online? How was it labeled?

minnemoline
02/07/2010, 09:35 AM
My guess at a glance is H. kelloggi female.

+1

I have H. Kelloggi species in my tank and they look exactly like your picture.

rayjay
02/07/2010, 09:56 AM
Any more pictures?
If they (it) are (is) kelloggi then I hope you have a decent sized tank for them (it) as kelloggi tend to grow to 8 to 10 inches and are tougher on water quality than say reidi would be.

WWCC
02/07/2010, 04:26 PM
I say that its a Black Reidi. take a look at this link. They have them for sale here and a little info on them. How did you go about getting it but not knowing what species it is or gender?http://www.aquacon.com/seahorses_saltwaterfish.htmlhttp://www.aquacon.com/images/SeahorseBlackReidi2.jpg

WWCC
02/07/2010, 04:32 PM
It will help to know where you are located, at least at the country level.

The words of a creeper :worried:

rayjay
02/07/2010, 05:14 PM
Well I don't know what that is supposed to mean, but as for ID, the coronet seen in the picture certainly looks to be higher than that of any reidi I've had or seen.

Octoshark
02/07/2010, 09:58 PM
I say that its a Black Reidi. take a look at this link.

Just so you know for future reference, a species of seahorse cannot be determined by color as seahorses have the ability to change their colors based on mood, surroundings, etc, etc

That website sells H. reidi by the color which should not be done. Sure they can sell an "yellow" reidi when it is yellow, but after the stress of being shipped and acclimated to a new tank it may turn into a "brown reidi."

ChadTheSpike
02/07/2010, 10:21 PM
I sisnt notice the aqua con link earlier... Sorry to go off topic, but I have had nothing but trouble from them... besides just appearing to have the normal LFS feel for SHs (bas), I would not recommend doing business with them.

Elysia
02/08/2010, 02:33 PM

Yes, merely knowing what country you are in will give me all the clues I need to track you down...:rolleyes:

Different species of seahorses are available in different countries. When someone is seeking the ID of a horse, simply knowing what country they bought the seahorse in eliminates particular species.

CharlesVI
02/08/2010, 04:53 PM
Sorry I wasn't able to answer you questions faster been a little busy.

I am located in the CT. It is alone in a 6 gallon tank for now, but I can put it in a 20 gallon whenever if it is needed, and I am planning on getting a taller and larger tank once it starts growing. Planing on getting it a mate but I'm kind of waiting for a definite gender ID, but if it is important I can try to get one .It is about 2 inches tall, and has started to change colors a little to more of a gray with white speckles on it. It is eating baby brine and frozen mysis shrimp. As far as I can tell there is no pouch but it would be great if you guys could tell me for sure. Here is another pic. Sorry for the dirty tank.

http://i698.photobucket.com/albums/vv342/CharlesVI/Tank/00000001111.jpg

timinnl
02/08/2010, 05:32 PM

Elysia asked a VERY VALID question. It helps to know the country. The states have a greater access to a lot of the seahorses. Where as the EU, it varies country by country.

Octoshark also is correct about buying by colors. You will be very disappointed when that "RED" H. reidi turns brown, yellow, black & so on.

If it is still very young, sometimes it is hard to sex them. I read this trick somewhere. If it looks like a P it is a female & if it looks like a D it is a male. Not foolproof, but works ok with my H. zosterae.:fun4:

Lastly, it is pretty common to buy a seahorse that could have been mislabel. Here in the Netherlands a lot of the H. comes are sold as H. kuda. H. kuda is a catchall name for different seahorses. The exporter has the permit to export H. kuda. He just label the H. comes as H. kuda.

Kind Regards,

Tim