PDA

View Full Version : Sea Hare - Looking for Advice

hilde123
02/06/2010, 08:56 AM
Im thinking of buying this Sea Hare http://cgi.ebay.com/Great-BALI-MONSTER-Sea-Hare-Invert-ALGAE-Live-Coral_W0QQitemZ130338885211QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item1e58cd8e5b I have a fair amount of hair algae that I was hoping this would mow down. I have SPS, LPS, softies, and clams. Will this be compatible and is it a good idea to add? As far as scavengers, I have red, blue, and whitle leg hermits, various snails, and a sea cucumber.

Gary Majchrzak
02/06/2010, 09:00 AM
not all Sea Hares are equal :)

Use Dolabella or Aplysia for hair algae. The critter pictured in your link looks like the correct choice and it should be fine with what you've described.

Ohiomom
02/06/2010, 09:08 AM
Be careful they are easily sucked into powerheads...and can not free themselves.

hilde123
02/06/2010, 09:51 AM
The only PH I have are 4 koralia K4 12V which are on a controller so they are always on (variable speed). The intake on the K4's are pretty small, could it still get sucked in? Fortunately they never turn off completely so the sea hare couldnt crawl in then the pumps turn on. The only other convern I would have are the overflows, they have slots about 1/4" wide ant 2" long. Will these be an issue?

Gary Majchrzak
02/06/2010, 09:53 AM
shouldn't be an issue with the 'hare you have pictured

reefscape15
02/06/2010, 01:05 PM
http://www.seaslugforum.net/factsheet.cfm?base=seahlist

Lots of info on this site

Elysia
02/06/2010, 04:17 PM
They don't crawl into power heads, they get sucked into them. And this isn't the best time of year to purchase sea hares, as they are often collected as they come to the shallows to breed, and many are nearing the end of their lives.

Oldude
02/06/2010, 05:18 PM
I would suggest putting a screen around the powerhead's housing. As mentioned they tend to crawl on them and then small parts of their body gets sucked through the powerhead cage and traps them and they die. When trying to pull them off the powerhead try not to squeeze them as they can expell a purple ink which is a bit nasty so just be careful.

LetoII
02/11/2010, 08:11 AM
They hate high flow... I have to turn off my flow to get him to come down off the top of the glass. They also climb on everything so its only a matter of time before they get sucked into a powerhead.

THE ROOK
02/11/2010, 09:43 AM
Don't be scared. I had one for a short time. It mowed down every bit of HA in about a week. I only kept him for 3 weeks. Cost me $20 & I got $10 from a fellow reefer that was at the LFS as I was returning it. Just don't try to keep him around long. Let him do his thing & then give him away. Certainly not a long term solution but it's so much easier then picking it off the rock by hand.

Robert Patterso
02/11/2010, 09:47 AM
They hate high flow... I have to turn off my flow to get him to come down off the top of the glass. They also climb on everything so its only a matter of time before they get sucked into a powerhead.

+1 there. I have had 2 in a short period and both have met there deaths by way of closed loop suction screen. As mentioned only a short term cure.

Volkman
02/11/2010, 10:36 AM
The ugly ones seems to work the best. I was told that you basically want to get one that looks like the algae you want it to eat. So if you have that brownish/green hair algae this guy should work. Once the algae is gone you will either need to supplement it or sell it. I would just sell if and then try and figure out why you are getting the hair algae. My 2c...

Anyone in the NW burbs of Chicago that want to get rid-of one? I need a guy for a couple weeks!

HOBrien
02/11/2010, 12:16 PM
The ugly ones seems to work the best. I was told that you basically want to get one that looks like the algae you want it to eat. So if you have that brownish/green hair algae this guy should work. Once the algae is gone you will either need to supplement it or sell it. I would just sell if and then try and figure out why you are getting the hair algae. My 2c...

Anyone in the NW burbs of Chicago that want to get rid-of one? I need a guy for a couple weeks!

Me too but in west texas.

Elysia
02/11/2010, 01:07 PM
Actually, its best to research what types of algae the different species like to consume. And winter is not the best time to buy. If only there were a Sea Slug Police...