PDA

View Full Version : FYI on INTERCEPTOR

costellow
02/06/2010, 09:45 AM
I am in the veterinary field and thought I would shed some light on what Interceptor is.

I am new to this hobby and have no idea what you use this for as for as a saltwater tank, but...

Interceptor, (milbemycin oxime ) is a heartworm preventative for Dogs. Dogs get heartworms from infected mosquitos. It is a prescription and not sold by anyone but your veterinarian. You cannot just walk into a vet and buy it. Your dog has to be a patient and it has to be prescribed.

So anyway--what good is it in the tank????

Gilby
02/06/2010, 09:52 AM
It gets rid of the infamous red bugs that plague SPS corals.

Whisperer
02/06/2010, 10:04 AM
Any crustacean is fair game to it. Larger shrimps may survive. Crabs, IME, are more susceptible.

Texxxx
02/06/2010, 03:12 PM
The Red Bug is in the same family as the arthropod that causes one of the types of mange in dogs. That is why Interceptor works for our problem bugs.

costellow
02/06/2010, 07:25 PM
but interceptor doesn't treat mange...as I said it's a heartworm preventative.

There are 2 types of mange: Demodex and Sarcoptic (scabies) and neither are treated with interceptor.

Agu
02/06/2010, 08:20 PM
Here's more than you want to know although I can't vouch for the accuracy of the information,

http://www.melevsreef.com/redbugs.html

lubyone1
02/06/2010, 09:37 PM
I am in the veterinary field and thought I would shed some light on what Interceptor is.

I am new to this hobby and have no idea what you use this for as for as a saltwater tank, but...

Interceptor, (milbemycin oxime ) is a heartworm preventative for Dogs. Dogs get heartworms from infected mosquitos. It is a prescription and not sold by anyone but your veterinarian. You cannot just walk into a vet and buy it. Your dog has to be a patient and it has to be prescribed.

I strolled into the local vet and explained what I needed it for...and they sold me sold w/o question. I believe they googled it when I initially inquired about and saw that it is indeed used in the reef hobby.

Makenna
02/06/2010, 09:47 PM

I have used it a number of times for Red Bugs as well as a dip for any inc SPS corals.

As the previous poster said, I have walked into a vet, explained what I was doing, and was sold it without any further issues.

James983
02/06/2010, 09:51 PM
Seems to me that one of the aquarium companies would be able to produce something available for our application.

Agu
02/06/2010, 09:56 PM
"Seems to me that one of the aquarium companies would be able to produce something available for our application. "

It's a controlled substance. It's probably not going to be available without studies and FDA approval in our hobby.

costellow
02/06/2010, 10:48 PM
It's not a "controlled" substance. Controlled substance are things like morphine, fentanyl, vicodin--anything that has potential for abuse.

However it is a prescription drug meaning it can't be sold without a prescription by a veterinarian. It's like penicillin--can't just go to 711 and pick some up.

What I want to know is how someone decided to use it in their tank? Did they accidentally drop a pill in it and wow, the next day all their bugs were gone, lol.

attml
02/06/2010, 11:11 PM
Not sure how the original test came about. I can vouch for the results however. It is best to watch with a magnifying glass. The invassive critters start to fall of the corals!

lordofthereef
02/06/2010, 11:12 PM
It's not a "controlled" substance. Controlled substance are things like morphine, fentanyl, vicodin--anything that has potential for abuse.

However it is a prescription drug meaning it can't be sold without a prescription by a veterinarian. It's like penicillin--can't just go to 711 and pick some up.

What I want to know is how someone decided to use it in their tank? Did they accidentally drop a pill in it and wow, the next day all their bugs were gone, lol.

Someone with access to it probably just gave it a shot. Most likely not in a full tank (althought I can be wrong) but in a more controlled situation (say quarantine tank or something). Many people will dip their SPS in water treated with interceptor for this reason. I know pig dewormers works well for flatworms in the tank as well.

I am a VetMed student myself. What do you do in the vet field? :)

Agu
02/06/2010, 11:22 PM

"A controlled substance is generally a drug or chemical whose manufacture, possession, and use are regulated by a government."

If I can't walk in and buy it at 7/11 it's controlled to me ........ and as such it's controlled on RC. The buying or selling of prescription drugs is no allowed on RC. We treat it as a controlled substance.

costellow
02/06/2010, 11:23 PM
I'm a registered vet tech.

lordofthereef
02/06/2010, 11:25 PM
"A controlled substance is generally a drug or chemical whose manufacture, possession, and use are regulated by a government."

If I can't walk in and buy it at 7/11 it's controlled to me ........

You were simply being corrected on the definition of a controlled substance. The fact that something isn't "over the counter" doesn't make it controlled.

Texxxx
02/07/2010, 02:32 AM
but interceptor doesn't treat mange...as I said it's a heartworm preventative.

There are 2 types of mange: Demodex and Sarcoptic (scabies) and neither are treated with interceptor.

Sorry you are wrong . It can be used for mange.
http://www.preciouspets.org/newsletters/articles/demodectic-mange.htm
http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?c=2+2101&aid=729
http://www.lbah.com/canine/demodex.htm
http://www.doberescuemn.org/Articles/Medical%20Articles/DEMODECTIC%20MANGE.pdf

Would you like more articles talking about using it for mange. I can get lots of them.

As I said before. It was found because both the red bug and one of the mites that causes some types of mange are in the same family. Hmm, if it kills one then it might kill the other.

cmbspd
02/07/2010, 07:28 AM
As I said before. It was found because both the red bug and one of the mites that causes some types of mange are in the same family. Hmm, if it kills one then it might kill the other.

Red bug is type of copepod (crustacean) and mites are a type of arachnid. They are not in the same family. Both are arthropods, which includes all insects, spiders, crabs, etc., so they are related, but only very distantly. Thus, interceptor might work on both because they are related and share some physiological susceptibility. However, that would mean it would also work on any crustacean in your tank!

Please don't take this correction as a criticism. Your reasoning might be 100% correct!

rigleautomotive
02/07/2010, 07:49 AM
Here was where it all started

http://www.reefs.org/forums/topic45859.html

,FYI,Dustin Dorton is ORA corals .He had the insight to give it a try and because of this many acroporas are much happier today :) including mine

LobsterOfJustice
02/07/2010, 08:39 AM
Red bug is type of copepod (crustacean) and mites are a type of arachnid. They are not in the same family. Both are arthropods, which includes all insects, spiders, crabs, etc., so they are related, but only very distantly. Thus, interceptor might work on both because they are related and share some physiological susceptibility. However, that would mean it would also work on any crustacean in your tank!

Please don't take this correction as a criticism. Your reasoning might be 100% correct!

It will work on any crustacean in your tank. Shrimp and crabs must be removed before dosing or they will die too.

lubyone1
02/07/2010, 12:19 PM
Larger shrimp crabs need a heavier dose to wipe them out. I have a coral banded shrimp that has survived 4-5 treatments over the course of 2 years. I wish they would have wiped him out...he's a huge pita!

katpurdy
02/07/2010, 12:42 PM
In my part of Canada it is an over the counter drug, no prescription needed. My vet, as I do also have a dog, has said that it is also used as a flea treatment, not just heartworms...

marinelife
02/07/2010, 12:45 PM
What is the point here, not sure when I read the first post what the real question is here.

I have used it to kill red bugs on my corals, it does work.