PDA

View Full Version : Shilling and Lighting suppliers

billsreef
02/06/2010, 10:01 AM
Hi Folks,

This a warning to those in the industry that have been flagrantly violating our [ua] and shilling (pretending to be hobbyist consumers) to promote their wares. Not only is such behavior a clear and obvious violation of the [ua], but is a complete misrepresentation that considered by most to be very unethical :uzi:

Those involved will find some new restrictions on their accounts, as well as some posts and even threads removed. Further such violations can lead to bannation.

tibob32
02/10/2010, 02:01 PM
This may be controversial, but shouldn't users(read consumers) be aware of such dishonest business practices? I'd suggest making the infractions public.

detroit_fan
02/10/2010, 03:18 PM
This may be controversial, but shouldn't users(read consumers) be aware of such dishonest business practices? I'd suggest making the infractions public.

Reef Central probably won't do that but i agree they should.

Av8bluewater
03/10/2010, 09:33 PM
Makes ya wonder if I got bum advice.
Thanks for the sticky.

Tigre9
03/18/2010, 01:07 AM
I also beleive that any posts should be left on the site with a bright RED note stating that the information was posted by someone in a business related to the industry and violated the User Agreement.

That way we would know if the information read was biased.

Just my 2 cents (all I will have after big corporations take everyones money!).

Geek
03/20/2010, 07:34 AM
hang em out to dry!

returnofsid
03/20/2010, 10:01 AM
hang em out to dry!

I totally agree. Especially since the same member, who prompted this warning, is now posting on several other reef related forums, shilling their products. Yeah, threads are being deleted on those forums as well....lol. Go get 'em RC!!

saltn07
03/20/2010, 11:27 PM
Yeah that is a bunch of bull, people come here for honest advice not people pushing their product spewing whatever to sell it...

dragoneggs
03/21/2010, 06:32 AM
I totally agree. Especially since the same member, who prompted this warning, is now posting on several other reef related forums, shilling their products. Yeah, threads are being deleted on those forums as well....lol. Go get 'em RC!!

Not to argue the shilling part, but there was a lot of great information on the RC thread... contributed by several truly independent reefers that spent their time and money to report the facts, that was ultimately deleted and lost. It helped me and I know alot of other people trying to learn about LEDs and whether to take the plunge. I am sad the info was lost but I understand and respect the forum rules.

Jeff
03/21/2010, 06:38 AM
It has become common practice on the internet for people that represent themselves as consumers and leave glowing reviews for products. Buyer beware unless you trust the reviewer.

dragoneggs
03/21/2010, 07:51 AM
It has become common practice on the internet for people that represent themselves as consumers and leave glowing reviews for products. Buyer beware unless you trust the reviewer.

Yep that is why the forum venue is great, it allow lots of opinions from all different vantage points. I am pretty sure most people who participate in forums do so because they want more than one opinion whether it is from a customer or a supplier, especially people that own and have used the product in a similar way that they intend to.

billsreef
03/21/2010, 08:05 AM

It's always good to search the post history of someone giving glowing reviews, it's most to all they do it is almost a definite they are a shill. Gets a little trickier when they spread themselves into other areas or pick up the commercial affiliation after they've already been a member here for awhile. Though they always seem to forget this business and hobby are fairly small and sooner later we find out who they really are :D

Jeff
03/21/2010, 08:54 AM
I also think the same is true with Amazon.com and other sites that are known for reviews. On one hand, I never buy anything anymore without reading reviews, but you never really know if the reviews are done by real consumers and if the site is only posting the "good" reviews. i found this out the hard way when I bout a memory foam mattress and found it to be total crap a couple years ago.

jchase1970
03/21/2010, 11:17 AM
They should leave the topic posted and add a big red SPAM ALEART to it. After this was done enough these people my give up trying cause they would know that they are being singled out.

gcarroll
04/08/2010, 11:06 AM
It's always good to search the post history of someone giving glowing reviews, it's most to all they do it is almost a definite they are a shill. I have exposed shills and other frauds for years using this method. Problem is, it has become harder to do now that we cannot search via username!:mad2:

Reefmonster
05/23/2010, 11:06 PM
I have been scammed enough in my life to not rely on anyone's "glowing Review" of a product...I look for evidence that they are good products...The Tube, The net, and personal observation are usually what I use... Shame on whoever did the Shilling...too bad they weren't banned and exposed!

DanMgy
06/17/2010, 11:02 AM
wow I am really glad that I saw this, I replied to a post where an African prince said he would help pay for my new tank, all top of the line stuff, I just had to do give him some money so that he could transfer millions out of a bank account he had. This is bitter sweet to read :blown:... I wanted my new tank, but now I am not going to get ripped off by that prince...:hammer::hammer:

billsreef
07/16/2011, 11:40 AM
Some of them never learn. Just whacked a shill for a fairly new lighting company. What a poor business model :rolleyes:

billsreef
09/13/2013, 05:38 AM
Just a reminder, this practice of shilling is still all too common. Sometimes even from long time members that have picked up commercial associations along the way and should know better.

DgenR8
09/14/2013, 05:27 AM
They should leave the topic posted and add a big red SPAM ALEART to it. After this was done enough these people my give up trying cause they would know that they are being singled out.

I'd like nothing more, but we get accused of "singling people out" almost daily. Could you imagine the uproar if we actually did start to single people out?

^^ That just needed to be said again.