PDA

View Full Version : Power Outages!!!

Tennyson
02/06/2010, 10:03 AM
So for those of you not around here, there's a snowstorm going on that might just be the biggest D.C has ever had, it might get up to 30 inches even.
Well the power went out and from the looks of this terrible weather it might not be on for up to a week.
Lol the first thing that came to mind was my freakin fish tank!!! the lights are out and no water flow. I have no power generator and they may be sold out for the whole time.

So my question is, what do you all do (if there's anything you can do) when the power goes out to keep your corals and fish alive? Not including generators. Or is my situation pretty much hopelesss? Also is anybody else around here suffering from this snowstorm too? The only way I'm on is from my phone (thank god) lol

Thanks for the help!

jmski333
02/06/2010, 10:08 AM
well the first issue is heat, try and keep the room your tank is it as warm as possible, than go to walmart or dicks fishing section or a bait store and buy a battery operated air pump

buffalo123
02/06/2010, 10:13 AM
What i did a few years ago is i bought battery operated air pumps like the one you take fishing with you. and i ran them, keep some extra batteries. they ran all night no problem.
The bigger issue is heat lost, you can wrap your aquarium in blankets to slow down the heat lost. I've heard of some using candles around the aquarium but thats risky . No need to burn down the house to safe the aquarium.
It may be beneficial to try to get a backup power supply from your computer supply store to keep just in case.
Those who have generators don't forget to buy gasoline before the power goes out.

chazman113
02/06/2010, 10:17 AM
I feel your pain, my power was out for about 6 hours today and just kicked back on. My tank got down to about 70 degrees. Luckily the power just came back on and it is rapidly heating back up. It scared the crap out of me and I've resolved to come up with a better backup system.

I have a few options what do you guys think:

A)Buy a generator, nuff said

B)Buy an emergency propane heater like this (http://www.walmart.com/ip/Big-Buddy-Dual-Heating-System/4382667?sourceid=1500000000000003260370&ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=4382667) and a battery packup for my hydor koralia 3 pump.

The pump only draws 6.5 watts, anyone have any suggestions for a battery backup that could keep it going for a day or so?

chazman113
02/06/2010, 11:04 AM
Been looking into them and this seems like the perfect generator to aquariums.
http://www.amazon.com/Honeywell-HW2000i-Portable-Generator-Compliant/dp/B001DSGBZQ

2000W is more than enough to keep mine up and running with the heater with enough left over to power my router and laptop.

Tennyson
02/06/2010, 11:58 AM
Ahh temp dropped down to 65 just now, a little lower.
In your last resort scenario what would you do?
I'm going to wrap it up in blankets, and maybe add warm water and mix it around would that help?

Also for some corals, can I just feed them? For the ones that will accept food like mysid, will that keep them alive?

chazman113
02/06/2010, 03:12 PM
Hah, I was imagining putting some of the water on the grill and replacing it to keep it warm. But you would have to be very careful not to do it too fast. Might be a good idea might be a bad idea, who knows

davocean
02/06/2010, 03:19 PM
I've heard of people heating stones and placing in tank in extreme cases, and doing anything to cycle/airate water, even using a hand eggbeater.

Skins
02/06/2010, 03:51 PM
I'm in the metro area as well. The first thing I thought of was my tank. Left early Thursday from work and went right to Lowes and bought a 5000 watt generator and 15 gallons of gas. Thankfully, other than the lights flashing on and of a couple of times, I haven't had to take it out of the box. If I make it through this mess without using it. Back it goes to Lowes for a $600.00 refund.

Sorry for your prediciment. I would be tempted to heat the tank water with (small emounts) a gas range if you have it. Keep in mind that heated water carries less oxygen and my exacerbate your situation more.

Playa-1
02/06/2010, 04:18 PM
Ahh temp dropped down to 65 just now, a little lower.
In your last resort scenario what would you do?
I'm going to wrap it up in blankets, and maybe add warm water and mix it around would that help?

Also for some corals, can I just feed them? For the ones that will accept food like mysid, will that keep them alive?

A power inverter that plugs into you cigerette lighter of your car. They are pretty easy to come by and you can run an extention cord to power a couple of powerheads and a heater. It doesn't necessarily have to run 24/7. You need water movement and heat. Water movement can come from you dipping water from the tank and pouring it back in. It doesn't have to be sophisticated. Heat can come from any heat source. Heat some water bottles with a candle.

Tennyson
02/06/2010, 06:03 PM
Wel l the good news is my powers flickering on and off every hour or two so theyr working on it. And I heated up a bunch of water and poured it in slowly to the tank to raise it a couple degrees. So for tonight they should be fine.

Would feeding the bigger corals though help for the light loss?

lubyone1
02/06/2010, 09:46 PM
Fill up some two liter bottles with hot water and float them in your tank. That way you don't need to worry about pouring hot water directly in your tank or affecting the salinity.

falconut
02/06/2010, 10:30 PM
I wouldn't feed anything while the power is out. They should be fine for now, plus it would speed up fouling the water. Keep working on heating the water as you are and make sure to aerate the water. I have two battery powered air pumps that automatically come on when the power goes out. If you don't have any, no problem, just take a cup and scoop some water and pour it back in over and over to stir the water. This will help aerate the water.

Years back, we lost power for 12 hours + in the spring and I didn't aerate the water and lost six of my fish. All the corals were fine. Some you should be fine if you aerate and keep the temps up, just don't raise them too quickly. Good Luck, hopefully you'll have power soon.