PDA

View Full Version : does it stay exciting for you too?

jbird69
02/06/2010, 11:13 AM
I cant stop thinking about and fiddling with and gazing into my tank! Granted I just set up a new tank, but it really has nothing new in it. I was this way with my old tank too even after 2 years. Before that it was fish only SW and it was the same way. Taking care of my tank is something I LOVE doing. I woke up in the middle of the night last night and started thinking about it, so I came out and laid on the couch watching it shimmer in the leds.

When my family is watching TV or a movie, I am on the couch facing the opposite direction, toward the tank.

I feel like Im in a perpetual state of reefing puberty, LOL.

Please tell me Im not alone.

briangg57
02/06/2010, 11:26 AM
I cant stop thinking about and fiddling with and gazing into my tank! Granted I just set up a new tank, but it really has nothing new in it. I was this way with my old tank too even after 2 years. Before that it was fish only SW and it was the same way. Taking care of my tank is something I LOVE doing. I woke up in the middle of the night last night and started thinking about it, so I came out and laid on the couch watching it shimmer in the leds.

When my family is watching TV or a movie, I am on the couch facing the opposite direction, toward the tank.

I feel like Im in a perpetual state of reefing puberty, LOL.

Please tell me Im not alone.
It's been 5 years for me and I'm the same way. Luckily, my tank is 3 feet to the right of my TV and I'm constantly going back and forth between them. The amazing thing about a tank is that there is always something new because corals get bigger and spread and new things start popping out of the liverock every now and then, such as a little while back, I noticed that I had a "micro- brittle star" that for 5 years , I never knew I had. Also, a few months back, after 2 years, my clowns started spawning and they now do it all the time. It's always something new! and most of the time, it's good.lol

chefzif
02/06/2010, 11:28 AM
No I can watch the reef tank for hours it is so relaxing and interesting to see your master piece of the piece of the ocean we created

Chupakabra-King
02/06/2010, 01:31 PM
I feel the same way as you guys . Ive been keeping reef tanks since 1998 and I'm still in love with it. I plan to have a reef tank as long as I live .

E.intheC
02/06/2010, 01:40 PM
Yep. I went from Freshwater to Salt pretty quickly. I loved freshwater, and might start another cichlid tank soon, but saltwater is like an insane drug. Even before RC and other forum sites, I was always going to the store and reading about fish and corals online. If I added up the amount of time spent doing research and staring into my tank, .... well.. it would be a lot. :lol:

Now, my tank is the best it's looked, and I love staring into it. The cube is a new project so there aren't too many corals yet, but soon.

Froggy
02/06/2010, 01:42 PM
You are not alone and it is not easy for me. My tank is in the basement of our house so I have to "excuse" myself often to "go and check on things". I think that becomes annoying to my family but I have a hard time staying away. I love plopping on the couch downstairs and watching the tank.

I am a reef addict and am always looking for the next fix :lol:

KyleO
02/06/2010, 01:42 PM
I am very glad to hear I am not alone in my never-ending obsession with my Reef tanks!!!

maynardjames
02/06/2010, 01:57 PM
think i will always be a reefer head

username in use
02/06/2010, 02:06 PM
Another one here. My girlfriend gets annoyed sometimes because I wont know what just happened on whatever show because I was watching the tank which is right there.

jmski333
02/06/2010, 02:12 PM
i get upset at 10pm when my lights turn off. i need to get moonlights or something.

nicknguyen
02/06/2010, 03:17 PM
+1, same feeling. My wife always complains about my tank. I pay more attention to it than her. It's the first thing I go to coming home from work. I got smart and go to her first, give a little kiss and ask how was her day, then go directly to the tank.

timdam
02/06/2010, 08:47 PM
put a mirror by the tv so that it looks like you're watching tv, but actually looking into the mirror!

briangg57
02/06/2010, 08:59 PM
i feel the same way as you guys . Ive been keeping reef tanks since 1998 and i'm still in love with it. I plan to have a reef tank as long as i live .
amen!!! Lol.

briangg57
02/06/2010, 09:04 PM
Yep. I went from Freshwater to Salt pretty quickly. I loved freshwater, and might start another cichlid tank soon, but saltwater is like an insane drug. Even before RC and other forum sites, I was always going to the store and reading about fish and corals online. If I added up the amount of time spent doing research and staring into my tank, .... well.. it would be a lot. :lol:

Now, my tank is the best it's looked, and I love staring into it. The cube is a new project so there aren't too many corals yet, but soon.
LMAO about the, well, it would be a lot , lol. Ain't that the truth! :)

lordofthereef
02/07/2010, 12:24 AM
Some days I get annoyed at having to do maintenance, then when the tank goes autopilot I get bored. Looking at it is a lot of fun, but I think I am able to justify my time spent on the tank when something "needs" doing rather than something I want to be doing (ie staring at it).

DH212
02/07/2010, 12:34 AM
No I can watch the reef tank for hours it is so relaxing and interesting to see your master piece of the piece of the ocean we created

Man, I spend more time looking at my tank then at work.

reefscape15
02/07/2010, 01:57 PM
I have my tank in the bedroom which is upstairs, and the rest of the house is downstairs (kitchen, living rm, dining rm.....) so I have to find reasons to "need to run upstairs sweety!" :) I have been keeping tanks for about 7 or 8 years and still love it. The LFS guy told me last time that "well i've done everything you can do with a reef so i'm done." WHAT?!?!?!?!?! The corals are always nice when they come in, but tend to bleach or brown out somewhat, and there is never anything really great going on with his tanks. I think the goal for me is to someday build as automated a tank as possible, and to have a really "mature" system. I can't wait for the day that all rocks are totally encrusted with coral! I already told my wife that a reef is something that she'll have to put up with as long as I'm living.

Sk8r
02/07/2010, 02:01 PM
Lol: I've been at this over 40 years, and there will be ups and downs, periods when you KNOW you can't afford to do any more for a while, (I laid out for 5 years after a move, and then re-moved down the street from a reef shop: doomed, eh?) then back you come, and try something new, and there you are, parked in front of your tank again, watching every minute growth of every coral, and every antic of some stupid hermit. I love it.

Chubosco
02/07/2010, 02:09 PM
The only time it has gotten old for me was when I kept fighting the same problem over and over.

ChadTheSpike
02/07/2010, 02:12 PM
Ive been doing this for 20 years and still have the same excitement as when I started (or more). I spend most of my day (pretty much every day) thinking about, fiddling with, or watching my tank. I absolutely love it.

darkdruid
02/07/2010, 03:41 PM
A magnifying glass and a comfortable chair and I'm good for hours.

j2707ah
02/08/2010, 09:31 AM
I feel the same way. After 2 years and not being able to afford a house I quit for almost a year. Now that I have a house I have started a much cheaper one and I hope it will tide me over. If you have the money i think it is well worth it. When you are choosing between a car, or house or paying the electricity for your tank then it can become more stressful.

Brettsreef
02/08/2010, 09:33 AM
All winter yes...

Summer its a harder sell :).

Chupakabra-King
02/08/2010, 10:10 AM
I feel the same way. After 2 years and not being able to afford a house I quit for almost a year. Now that I have a house I have started a much cheaper one and I hope it will tide me over. If you have the money i think it is well worth it. When you are choosing between a car, or house or paying the electricity for your tank then it can become more stressful.

Thats when you have a 10 gallon nano . That is as cheap as this hobby gets. Get some frags from your friends and let it all grow . I cannot be without a tank . Other things would go first .