PDA

View Full Version : quick question about hitch hikers

ajm
02/06/2010, 11:18 AM
I recently started a 29 nano cube hqi tank for my parents (still not an expert on this stuff myself). Anyways 2 days after adding the LR one rock had about 5 bristle worms popping out of it and a bunch of little shrimp hanging around it. I wasnt gonna fool with trying to catch the worms and my mom was freaking out about them so I just filled up a bucket with very hot water. Threw the rock in it to kill them and the rock is now sitting outside so it can fully die off before putting it back in the tank as im sure the hot water killed a lot of the good stuff and I didnt want it dieing off in the tank. Anyways after tossing the rock in the water a bunch of little shrimp died off and floated to the top (some sank as well). I havent seen the tank in a few days but from what ive been told there are still about 20 little shrimp hanging around in there.

Does anyone have a suggestion as to what they could be? My first thought was mantis shrimp but ive also read its somewhat rare to get them more less 20+. They almost look like krill just MUCH smaller.

drparker
02/06/2010, 11:21 AM
Probably some type of cope-pod, they are good. How small? By the way the worms are considered good, I wish I had more in my tank.

ajm
02/06/2010, 12:13 PM
They were curled up when dead but just a rough guess if youd stretch them out when dead some would be maybe 1/2 - 1 cm and a clear/milky color. As for the worms. I thought they were good as well from what I had read but as soon as they popped out my mom looked online and read some bs that they eat coral so she wanted them out asap no matter what lol. A of the shrimp also seem to be dieing in the tank and floating to the top whatever they are.

drparker
02/06/2010, 12:49 PM
Any of the people on line complaining that bristle worms were eating their coral had coral that were dieing or had dead tissue and the worms were doing their job as part of the clean-up crew.

That size they are probably amphlipods and it might not be dead bodies you see, it could be molts. They have a hard outside like a shrimp or crab and must shed it to grow.

Gary Majchrzak
02/06/2010, 12:51 PM
sounds like you killed off a lot of desirable stuff, ajm :thumbdown

read about "pods":

http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-08/rs/index.php

ajm
02/06/2010, 12:54 PM
Oh well...Gotta learn some how right? and I just went along with what my parents wanted. After all its their tank. As for as the amphlipods go is there a way I could scoop some up with a net put them in a cup of water and introduce them into my tank?

Gary Majchrzak
02/06/2010, 12:56 PM
yep.

Bristleworms are a good thing, too.
Time to educate your parents :)