PDA

View Full Version : Fedex Or UPS

amj991
02/06/2010, 12:44 PM
Who does a better job about not damaging product?

Shane Hoffman
02/06/2010, 01:02 PM
IMO both are the same, what ever you do if you buy insurance pay special attention to any requirements for packing. If you dont pack to their requiremnt they will not honor your insurance claim. For example I packed a box exactly as specified with one exception. I was supposed to have 2 inches of clearance between the box wall and the item shipped. The 2 inches was supposed to be styro foam. My foam was only 1.5 inches thick. They didnt cover it.

Lps157
02/06/2010, 02:23 PM
Seems every package I get from UPS is beat up. I only ship fedex.

detroit_fan
02/06/2010, 03:53 PM
I like fedex better. plus they deliver to residential on saturday where it seems ups just shuts down on friday at 6 unless you paid triple for fast shipping. ups also seems ot beat the heck out of every box i get from them.

NirvanaFan
02/06/2010, 03:55 PM
I've had luck with both of them. Try to get the person to pick up the package at their local facility if possible. That way it doesn't sit in a truck all day.

jdrabek
02/06/2010, 03:55 PM
I like UPS over FedEx. For me UPS delivers to me like clock work, where as FedEx it is just hit and miss.

3djedi
02/06/2010, 04:13 PM
UPS is IME is waaaaaaay better. LIke the above post says my UPS guy is here everytime at the almost exact same time day after day. Never lost a package, never damaged, never late time after time. (knock on wood here) Being fair, Fedex has done a decent job but I never know when he is going to come and if I'm not home he won't leave it. And one time he left it at a house the street over. Both are pretty good IMO.

cman_pogey
02/06/2010, 04:28 PM
Hands down UPS IMO. I have had HORRIBLE luck with FEDEX, maybe its just me, but I always ship UPS.

golfish
02/06/2010, 05:46 PM
I like UPS over FedEx. For me UPS delivers to me like clock work, where as FedEx it is just hit and miss.

I agree....I've always had great dealings with UPS

tkeracer619
02/06/2010, 06:35 PM
Fed ex will not cover any damages to livestock.

I am not sure about UPS but I will never ship livestock FedEx. I have seen them deliver packages to texas that were supposed to come to colorado. Everything dies, overnight delivery and not a blink from FedEx.

Gilby
02/06/2010, 08:01 PM
I worked at UPS for 6 years, Ive seen first hand how packages are treated... Ship FedEx.

DThompson
02/06/2010, 08:07 PM
I worked at UPS for 6 years, Ive seen first hand how packages are treated... Ship FedEx.

LMAO. We had a major problem with UPS years ago. We shipped out a major piece of very expensive equipment with about 12 inches of very expensive packing and a 1/2 inch re-enforced cardboard.

Customer refused shipment because he said the box was now round. We had so many issues with UPS that we asked the local rep and a manager to come to our warehouse the day it was being returned.

Sure enough, the truck backs in and the driver rolled it off the truck. It was marked heavy, so rather than lift it, they were rolling it. :thumbsup:

The Rep and Manager believed us after seeing it first hand.

But, IME, you should go with what the customer wants. They know how their boxes are delivered better than you do. If they don't know, FEDEX.

chilwil84
02/06/2010, 08:38 PM
ups is union so that is probably why they dont deliver on saturdays without a surcharge. the thing with fedex is different types of delivery are owned by different people. i am pretty sure ground is the corporate and express (i think there is another type) are owned routes by a private person. i havent had any problems with either where i live now but fedex ground gets stuff to me from cali a couple days faster than ups.

NirvanaFan
02/06/2010, 09:22 PM
A quick note... a lot of UPS stores aren't actually owned by UPS. They are private stores that just ship packages. This is what I've been told at least. So, if you ship with one of them, make sure that they follow all the guidelines that UPS packages need to follow (padding, cardboard, etc).

lordofthereef
02/07/2010, 12:25 AM
I have never shipped anything live but I do know that I have always gotten live shipments from FedEx, and I think most people use FedEx for all live shipments. My understanding is that you are generally SOL on DOA with really and shipper though.

DH212
02/07/2010, 12:32 AM
I think the damaging depends on the shipper, but I like fed ex better. They get to me sooner.

pwoller
02/07/2010, 01:40 AM
FEDEX for sure.

njdevilsfan
02/07/2010, 03:50 AM
ups hands down
i have had to many boxes of live critters missed or lost or just not delivered by fedex to ever use them again

Fish Ace
02/07/2010, 05:36 AM
FEDEX, and I beleive they still deliver on Saturdays. What I don't like is when they end up suing USPS for the final delivery as in a recent shipment from Dr's F&S. That package sat there 30 miles away for four days.

bassking16
02/07/2010, 06:13 AM
It's funny, I was just ranting on one of my other threads about how FedEx killed some frags I bought the other day. IMO FedEx, and USPS for the matter, both are horrible at shipping and handeling livestock packages. USPS is just slow as all get out, and not very helpful when something goes wrong. FedEx always seems to find a way to beat up the box, leave it sitting upsidedown when clearly marked "This End Up", and is hit or miss at to what time it will be delivered.

If I have the choice, I always go with UPS. I could set my watch to the delivery time, and the packages are always well taken care of. I have never lost any livestock when shipped using UPS.

Hope this helps you out.

64Ivy
02/07/2010, 06:32 AM
Regarding home delivery, it's like a pendulum around here; UPS is better for awhile, then Fedex seems to step up. But since I usually have all my live stuff held for pick-up at the hub, I go with Fedex. Their hub is only a half hour away.

stanlalee
02/07/2010, 07:33 AM
fedex live goods, which ever is cheapest dry goods.

Chubosco
02/07/2010, 08:25 AM
Where I live, I am 5 minutes from UPS but when they get my package, they deliver it last because they start out delivering the furthest points first and work back. So my live shipment spends all day in the truck and I get a PM delivery.

FedEX delivers the same way. I live far away from them but always get an AM delivery because they deliver the farthest points first and work back in.

Delivering this way motivates the drivers to hurry up cause the closer to the terminal they get, the faster they get to go home. Or the faster they get to hang out in the breakroom.

noahm
02/07/2010, 09:40 AM
Where I live, I am 5 minutes from UPS but when they get my package, they deliver it last because they start out delivering the furthest points first and work back. So my live shipment spends all day in the truck and I get a PM delivery.

FedEX delivers the same way. I live far away from them but always get an AM delivery because they deliver the farthest points first and work back in.

Delivering this way motivates the drivers to hurry up cause the closer to the terminal they get, the faster they get to go home. Or the faster they get to hang out in the breakroom.

This is very helpful for getting the best delivery time. I have the same situation where, just because of the location of the sorting facilities, FedEx gets me overnight stuff every time, on time. A lot depends on the specifics of how stuff is routed and where exactly you live. Once you know that info, go with the carrier that works.

As far as damage, I know someone who works at UPS, and all he says is never write any instructions on the box. They will do the opposite. I am sure it happens with both shippers. Some people think it is funny to be inconsiderate. I am sure problem facilities get 'cleaned up' when there are too many claims, and then the cycle begins again...

bean59
02/07/2010, 10:02 AM
i've never shipped or recieved livestock but fedex always delivers packages to be delivered to me to the wrong address while ups always gets it right

minnemoline
02/07/2010, 10:07 AM
Fedex. I live in the country and if there is so much as a snowflake or raindrop, UPS will not deliver. Fedex has always come through for me..........rain, snow, or shine!

camaroboy8691
02/07/2010, 10:10 AM
i like both ! but it also depends on the shipper . is the product packaged properly ? etc . i hate when a seller puts items in boxes and does not wrap them . secure them etc ...

that being said i use ups for my business . pretty good service

DThompson
02/07/2010, 10:21 AM

Have them hold it for pickup.