PDA

View Full Version : I think I screwed up with siliconing... advice?

Baltimore Bryan
02/06/2010, 02:47 PM
I siliconed some baffles to a glass aquarium a few weeks ago using GE Silicon II Windows and Doors. I have just read that this may be unsafe. Because they have changed the labels, I'll tell you what mine says- 100% silicone, waterproof, clear, .... and here's the catch- also provides mold-free product protection. I've heard this is what makes it unsafe. However, people said it stated "contains biocide (or bioseal, don't remember specific name)" but mine doesn't. I know GE II Baths/ Sinks is no good, but I thought GE II Windows and Doors would be OK since GE I Windows and Doors is safe. Can anyone tell me if this is safe or not? And if not, can I just cover it all up with aquarium safe silicone? I really don't want to take everything apart...

FLAMAANGEL
02/06/2010, 03:01 PM
pull it out unless you want to have massive die off.

jmski333
02/06/2010, 03:03 PM
yeah, that mold protection stuff bleaches the water in your tank. your gonna want to use GE Silicone I

You could try siliconing over the top of it, but is it really worth the risk?

liquidlunch
02/06/2010, 03:03 PM
why take the chance when HD, LOWES, ACE,etc sells
http://www.dap.com/product_details.aspx?BrandID=67&SubcatID=27

DAP actually changed their label to say "household", which used to be labeled/marketed as "aquarium" up until last year. I have both tubes and even used some this morning on a fuge(fingers still sticking to keyboard):smokin:

Baltimore Bryan
02/06/2010, 03:06 PM
Bummer. I was hoping I wouldn't have to do that, but I don't want to take a chance. So should I just scrape it off with a razor blade? I just read somewhere that you should then soak it in rubbing alcohol? Will this be enough to get it clean and safe before I re-silicone it?

liquidlunch
02/06/2010, 03:10 PM
razor blade and maybe some sand paper if you have less than smooth edges. i used both in order to get a good surface when using previously used pieces from old sumps that had silicone on them
maybe alcohol bath followed by a white vinegar one?

dwd5813
02/06/2010, 03:39 PM
razor it out as best you can and then yes, rubbing alcohol will help with the final clean up. i don't know that you really need to soak it, just get a clean lint free cloth and wipe. it will evaporate quickly.

75gsalt
02/06/2010, 04:10 PM
Biggest problem with silicone is that silicone will not stick to silicone, meaning you have to remove what is there for the new to stick.

Baltimore Bryan
02/06/2010, 05:18 PM
Alright, maybe I'll try that tomorrow since it looks like I'll be snowed in all day... So before I re-silicone it, I want to be sure that GE Silicone I 100% silicone is the safe one, right?
Thanks,
Bryan

jbird69
02/06/2010, 05:39 PM
is there a definitive study and write up on certain silicones being toxic to reef aquaria? Can I get a link?

jmski333
02/06/2010, 10:28 PM
rubbing alcohol removes old silicone like a charm IME.