PDA

View Full Version : easy to scratch glass?

jubjub
02/06/2010, 05:09 PM
is there different levels of glass? i just have a 75gal and doesnt seem to scratch at all, yet my 85gal i've put quite a few odd scratches in it just noticed one about 6" long or so......

does glass come softer with age? or anything?

bertoni
02/06/2010, 06:25 PM
There are different types of glass, and some are easier to scratch, but that might not be the source of your problems. Glass won't soften with age.

j tavares
02/06/2010, 06:29 PM
Unfortunately it seems to be pretty much uunavoidable no matter how careful most older tanks like mine 12 yrs plus will have scratches I personally would love for the makers of tanks to have a foolproof sratch free glass but that probally will not happen. Good luck

dwd5813
02/06/2010, 06:39 PM
drag a key across the back of the tank before you set it up and get it over with. that way you won't obsess about that little hairline scratch you find later on that seems to have been caused by a single grain of sand.

i'm kidding of course, but in a sick way it would almost make sense. do be careful, but also it helps to realize that at some point you will notice minor scratches.

Amp2020
02/06/2010, 06:42 PM
I would be willing to bet that it has more to do with the type of gravel/sand that's in it. Fine round sand will have less tendency to scratch than rough shaped gravel.

Do you use a magnetic algae scraper? If you have one on each tank. My guess is that the magnetic strength is stronger on the 85 than the 75. Another thing. That causes lots of scratches is moving rocks around and hitting the glass. Especially putting rocks in or pulling them out.

lordofthereef
02/06/2010, 06:49 PM
Where are your scratches? Depending on where on the tank they are you can get a decent idea of what may have caused it and if there is something you can do better to avoid more in the future.