PDA

View Full Version : Fresh water dip/bath

Nexenn
02/06/2010, 11:11 PM
I've read several blogs and thread posts about fresh water dips and how they are a good preventative measure to take before introducing new fish into an aquarium. I tried this today with 3 blue/green chromis fish and it didn't work at all. The fish were dead within 4 minutes. I acclimated them to my main tank first and got the pH and temp of the RO/DI water to match tank water using baking soda.

Anyhow, going back to the LFS tomorrow to pick up 3 more and I was wondering what everyone thought about fresh water dips and what I could do better?

I think I'm just going to buy a 10 gallon tank and quarantine them instead. I know this is the best way so I'm really just looking for responses about the fresh water dip.

costellow
02/06/2010, 11:30 PM
Maybe it was the baking soda. I think it takes 24 hours for it to fully dissolve. Maybe like us trying to breath in a sand storm...maybe.

lordofthereef
02/06/2010, 11:33 PM
Did you leave them in for four minutes?

PIPS
02/07/2010, 02:40 AM
Ive read a quick dip is all thats needed. A 4 min swim session would kill them.

Nexenn
02/07/2010, 08:11 AM
ahhh, every single link on google states 5-10 minutes... one even said 30 minutes so I thought 5 would be fine (on the low end even).

Wish there wasn't so much crap out there that wasn't accurate.

Nexenn
02/07/2010, 08:21 AM
http://www.reefland.com/forum/marine-fish-care-health-disease-treatment/18887-freshwater-dip-marine-fishes.html

Just one of the many informative articles that state 5 minutes minimum. Says to start with 5 and keep them in there for 30 minutes and they would handle it fine.

Chris27
02/07/2010, 09:57 AM
Can you tell us a little more about your acclimation procedure? Things like store water salinity, tank water salinity, drip method, float the bag method, would all help out. I've done FW dips in the past, without loosing fish.

Perhaps a better way to go about it would be to setup a QT instead of doing a FW dip and throwing them in the tank.

Na-H2O
02/07/2010, 10:30 AM
I've used this method but to treat my fishes. I had ick all over my clown and a buddy of mine told me to dip him in FW for a total of 3 times, each for ten seconds. However, inbetween each 10 second dip I allowed him to go back in his tank for 30 seconds.

So it went 10 second dip 30 second rest.

Worked like a charm ick came off and never came back.

Flavordsm
02/07/2010, 10:52 AM
This is what I follow: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1706835&highlight=methylene+blue

Playa-1
02/07/2010, 12:20 PM
I've read several blogs and thread posts about fresh water dips and how they are a good preventative measure to take before introducing new fish into an aquarium. I tried this today with 3 blue/green chromis fish and it didn't work at all. The fish were dead within 4 minutes. I acclimated them to my main tank first and got the pH and temp of the RO/DI water to match tank water using baking soda.

Anyhow, going back to the LFS tomorrow to pick up 3 more and I was wondering what everyone thought about fresh water dips and what I could do better?

I think I'm just going to buy a 10 gallon tank and quarantine them instead. I know this is the best way so I'm really just looking for responses about the fresh water dip.

I give all my new arrivals a 4 minute fresh water dip with RO/DI water. For reasons I'm not prepared to discuss :), RO/DI water is tough if not impossible to get accurate pH measurements on. I would suggest if you're using RO/DI water then just match the temp with the water that the fish is going into and after the fish is acclimated to the QT, then dip the fish for 4 minutes in the temp adjusted RO/DI water and then release it in the QT. I've never had an issue with this process. If you're using RO water or treated tap water then you will want to adjust the pH and temp. It's important that the fresh water is aerated well. I aerate the water well and also leave a small powerhead running in the dip container. I suspect your issue was either in aeration or the pH adjustment.