PDA

View Full Version : need input

juniorjose
02/07/2010, 12:06 AM
:confused:i have a a 29 gallon aquarium and wanted to now if it would be a good idea to add a sump or refugium to the tank. is this good or bad? and what would be an ideal setup for a 29 gallon?

sedor
02/07/2010, 12:35 AM
A 10G would work just fine, but go as big as you can fit. Of course a sump is always a great idea. You can hide your equipment, get a good skimmer, run a fuge etc etc. The list goes on. I would never have a reef of any size without a sump.

Bigshow
02/07/2010, 09:08 AM
It never hurts to add more water to your tank and more filtration.

juniorjose
02/07/2010, 09:12 AM
so a sump and fuge can make ALOT of differnece to my 29 gallon or not would it only make a small difference to my tank?

spleify
02/07/2010, 11:29 AM
It will certianly help to have a sump/refugium added to your current setup. Whether it will help A LOT or A LITTLE, is hard to say.

As mentioned, go as big as space allows you, the bigger the better. It will help add water volume to your system, and provide an area for your equipment.

HTH

Good luck

chrischin29g
02/07/2010, 02:58 PM
i also have a 29g.. i dont have a sump but i have a aqua c romora skimmer
and a aqua clear 70 that am goin to mod into a fug...is that good enough or
should i get a sump?

bertoni
02/07/2010, 05:04 PM
A refugium can help a lot if there's enough filtration demand from the tank, or a lot of live food is needed. I think they're a good addition, but the effect is hard to quantify.

I have no idea how large the AquaClear is, so I can't comment on that. Generally, I'd want at least a few gallons of capacity, if possible.

juniorjose
02/07/2010, 09:19 PM
yea ive seen ppl make a little hang on the back refugium.

i wanted to get and sump to add a pretty decent skimmer to the tank. im just not sure if its really worth it or if i can get the same results without a sump and fuge.

thegrun
02/07/2010, 10:22 PM
I have a 28 nano, I could not get my nitrates to drop below 5ppm before I added a refugium. The nitrates are never detectable since adding the refugium.

Korrine
02/07/2010, 10:26 PM
I've had my 29g set up since March of 2009 and I don't have a sump. When I move my tank in the next month or so, I'm adding a hang on overflow box to add a sump underneath. I'm tired of seeing so much equipment in my DT and my skimmer bubbles drive me nuts :crazy1:

Long story short, GO FOR A SUMP!!! :thumbsup:

lordofthereef
02/07/2010, 11:23 PM
The only case in which adding a sump/refugium could be bad (IMO) is if it causes too much extra work and upkeep starts slacking as a result. I know plenty of people make a fancy compact deal where everything fits in like a puzzle. When something malfunctions or it comes to cleaning time and you need to take everything apart to get to the problem area it can be a huge PITA and make you drag it out. The point is, a well planned sump/refugium is great. A poorly planned one = just go without.