PDA

View Full Version : Flake for a Banggai Cardinalfish?

Driznik
02/07/2010, 07:17 AM
I've got a small Banggai Cardinalfish who has been eating mostly frozen mysis. Work is sending me out of town for a couple of days last minute, so I'm trying to find some kind of flake / dry food he'll take while I'm gone (so I can use the autofeeder).

Has anybody had any success getting a Banggai to eat flake or pellet foods?

Thanks.

cmbspd
02/07/2010, 07:19 AM
if it really is just 2-3 days then don't worry about feeding. You are safer letting the fish sit then trying to rig up a new device or feed an unknown food. Most fish are perfectly fine going without food for up to a week - if you don't do that routinely. Not feeding during short absences also cuts down on waste production by the fish.

CleveYank
02/07/2010, 07:49 AM
Mine eat flake or anything else that's edible that doesn't try to eat them first. (not picky eaters once settled in)

falconut
02/07/2010, 08:16 AM
I agree, if it's just a few days it should be fine. My first one wouldn't touch flakes, but my new one eats prime reef flakes and frozen mysis. So, it probably just depends upon the individual fish.

somosomo
02/07/2010, 08:56 AM
Mine eat flake. I started putting some in the tank when I fed them frozen brine shrimp. After a while I decreased the brine shrimp and increased the flake until it was all flake.
Now they will eat both.

I wanted to get them on it because sometimes I have to leave town for long weekends or a week. Also I have an auto feeder set up so the tank gets something midday while I am at work.

BigRedSpecial
02/07/2010, 09:59 AM
Mine normally only eats mysis, although I have caught him eating prime reef flakes on a few occasions. Normally however, any dry food is spit out. I guess it all depends on the individual fish.

syrinx
02/07/2010, 10:53 AM
I have raised many on flake. Plain and simple its more nurtitious and makes them grow faster.