PDA

View Full Version : Acclimation

Na-H2O
02/07/2010, 10:16 AM
I normally do the drip method untill the water that came from the LFS matches my water. Is there any other type of methods that yous guys use?

BigRedSpecial
02/07/2010, 10:28 AM
Drip method is pretty much standard for marine; you probably won't find much variance.

Playa-1
02/07/2010, 10:38 AM
I think it's wise to use a drip method but I would encourage you to use a QT and match the Sg of the Qt to the shipping water from the retailer. Many retailers keep their Sg very low and if we make a huge Sg increase in an hour even with the drip method we could be causing some health problems for the new fish. Once the fish is in QT then you can slowly adjust the Sg over a period of several days to where ever you want it.

Na-H2O
02/07/2010, 10:46 AM
SG?

Thats not a bad Idea.

I think i'm going to use my biocude as a QT tank.

If I were to use my biocube would the water in the tank be the same as my 55g tank?

bhammer
02/07/2010, 10:46 AM
There are other methods out there that seem to do a better job, especially if the fish has been in the bag for a while. The method I use if I have transported a fish over 30 minutes:

1. Take water from mt DT and match the PH of the bag water
2. Remove about half of the bag water and drip the DT water into the bag to replace 150% of the water. This removes the ammonia in the bag.
3. Then I remove about 2/3 of that water and drip from my DT. This brings the DT and drip the same.

I have found that when transporting the fish over a distance, the regular drip method is to hard on the fish. As the fish stay in the bag, the PH drop and the ammonia is converted into another non harmful chemical. Then we drip and the PH raises, drastically raising the ammonia levels.

When I was talking to a guy that runs an public aquarium here in Dallas, I asked how they acclimate new arrivals. This was the way they did it as well.

Here is a good thread where we discussed it. http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1767857

Na-H2O
02/07/2010, 10:50 AM
I'm sorry but what does mt DT mean?

bhammer
02/07/2010, 10:52 AM
I'm sorry but what does mt DT mean?

DT = Display Tank. The main tank where the fishies and critters are. :thumbsup:

Na-H2O
02/07/2010, 10:55 AM
Got you.