PDA

View Full Version : Dead "live rock"?

Robka
02/07/2010, 11:15 AM
I recently wanted to add a rock to my display for coral placement and to balance out my tank. I have plenty of live rock for filtration purposes (& wanted to save some coin for the corals themselves;) so I decided to opt for old "dried up" live rock that I found @ my LFS. I boiled and scrubbed the rock for about 5 hours to get off all the dried up coralline algae and whatever might be left in the rock. Next, I dried the rock completely and drilled holes for placement of frags. I currently am soaking the rock in a small tub with aged fresh saltwater heater & bubble wand. How long (if any?) should I soak this rock before placing in my DT or is it ready to go now?

Thanks for your help,

Robka

Robka
02/07/2010, 01:47 PM
With the collective knowledge in my viewing audience, someone has to have some experience with this?

Thanks,

Robka

SeasonedReefer
02/07/2010, 03:02 PM
I have bleached rock let it dry out, rinsed it with fresh water and put it into my display with out having any problems at all. I don't recommend doing a boat load but a view peices here and there didn't cause any problems for me.

Robka
02/07/2010, 07:37 PM
I have bleached rock let it dry out, rinsed it with fresh water and put it into my display with out having any problems at all. I don't recommend doing a boat load but a view peices here and there didn't cause any problems for me.

Thanks for the info, I just wanted to make sure I didn't have an ammonia spike, but my long boiling time should have cleaned it up pretty good.

ERICinFL
02/07/2010, 09:10 PM
If it's dead, all you really needed to do, was rinse it well, let it dry, then put it in your tank. I've added quite a few pieces to my tank and that's all I've ever done to clean it off.