PDA

View Full Version : What Skimmer Would You Recommend????????

STEELERFAN747
02/07/2010, 03:53 PM
Hey Guys, I need alot of help FAST.
I am currently in the market for a good skimmer but have a few hang ups. My sump/ fuge will be 18"l x 18"w x 16"h, with the skimmer area measuring 6" x 18" so not only am I looking for a skimmer with a small footprint but I also am very picky with noise (must be QUIET!!!!!!).

I was thinking of a Tunze 9005 as I hear they can be as quiet as their ph's. My only other brand name of skimmer I have experience with is with Euro-reef which I have on my current tank. It has the sedra pump and over all I find it a bit Noisy.

I have yet to purchase any equipment so I am open to suggestions but please remember the small footprint, the Noise factor and I don't want to spend a fortune.

Thanks for all your help:fun5:

sanchoy
02/07/2010, 04:29 PM
Octopus skimmers are top notch for decent affordable price. Always remember the rule of thumb, "buy something you can't afford" so you will avoid losing out by upgrading in the near future.

lordofthereef
02/07/2010, 04:32 PM
I would go with an octo as well, though I have been happy with euroreef and asm myself. You are not limited to the pump that it comes with, although it would be a price increase to change it out.

STEELERFAN747
02/07/2010, 05:12 PM
Octopus skimmers are top notch for decent affordable price. Always remember the rule of thumb, "buy something you can't afford" so you will avoid losing out by upgrading in the near future.

I breifly looked them up but the footprint does not seem to work as the ones I saw were quite large

tkeracer619
02/08/2010, 01:28 AM
With a 6" dimension you have almost eliminated all choices other then the tunze.

stanlalee
02/08/2010, 01:37 AM
tunze and sump buddy's are the only ones I can think of that will fit in that space. I'd take the sump buddy by a long shot as its a REAL competitive performing skimmer and the tunze is a bit of a toy skimmer. you do need to buy and make space for a drive pump but there's enough space for a sump buddy 40 and a drive pump (which isn't limited to that area anyway) there are others like the EV-120 ect that have small enough footprints but you'll probably run into problems with the output pipes. sump buddy 40 footprint is only 4x7"

http://www.championlighting.com/pics/proskimmerpics/ETSS/sump_buddy.jpg

*leeinengland*
02/08/2010, 01:52 AM
i think deltec do a small footprint one have you looked there site
http://www.theaquariumsolution.com/products-type/protein-skimmers,

you may just fit in a apf600 this maybe overkill a little on your tank as its for 1000ltr but boy do they remove some doc from the water

STEELERFAN747
02/08/2010, 07:48 PM
tunze and sump buddy's are the only ones I can think of that will fit in that space. I'd take the sump buddy by a long shot as its a REAL competitive performing skimmer and the tunze is a bit of a toy skimmer. you do need to buy and make space for a drive pump but there's enough space for a sump buddy 40 and a drive pump (which isn't limited to that area anyway) there are others like the EV-120 ect that have small enough footprints but you'll probably run into problems with the output pipes. sump buddy 40 footprint is only 4x7"

How quiet is it and what is it rated for? I have also been thinking about possibly reconfiguring the layout of the sump fuge and since it hasnt been built yet it's not that difficult to do.
I was actualy thinking of doing it in a way that would give me about a 14"x 12" area for the skimmer, a 6"x12" area for the fuge and a 6"x20" for the return sump. It would be an ackward layout as both the skimmer and fuge would be layed out side by side but devided from back to front and then the return/sump area would be to the right of them.
As I mentioned before, it would be ackward but I think this would probably work best as I would have more space in each area, especially for the skimmer. What do you guys think.

http://www.championlighting.com/pics/proskimmerpics/ETSS/sump_buddy.jpg