PDA

View Full Version : Ventralis Anthias

michael_cb_125
02/07/2010, 07:30 PM
These are fish that I have always wanted. IMO there are not many fish that can combine the color, body shape, personality and elegance like a healthy
P. ventralis.

So, I snatched up the trio from the DD the other night. These little fish have been in my QT for a few days now and are doing very well.

http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t118/michael_cb_125/IMG_0118.jpg

http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t118/michael_cb_125/IMG_0116.jpg

http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t118/michael_cb_125/IMG_0112.jpg

http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t118/michael_cb_125/IMG_0107.jpg

I have been feeding these little fish five times per day, as much as they will eat.

I am feeding Garlic, Vit.C, and Selcon soaked mysis and spirulina flake.
All three fish are aggressive feeders and already recognized me and my yellow cup of "foody-goodness".

These fish will be going into my Elos 120, in place of Hawaiian Longfin Anthias. I figure they resemble the longfins pretty closely, but have a slightly better track record.

I will keep posted.

~Michael

skibum9884
02/07/2010, 07:38 PM
Michael,

Looking great. How do you feel about them? I generally hear that they're pretty finicky and difficult to keep happy and fat.

Please keep us posted with their progress. Beautiful fish and pictures!

-David

michael_cb_125
02/07/2010, 07:51 PM
Obviously I need more time to form any sort of accurate opinion on these fish, but as of now:

They are eating aggressively
They are not finicky and will eat mysis from a toothpick at the water surface
They are showing no outward signs of disease
They show no signs of aggression
And they are very pretty ;)

~Michael

NexDog
02/07/2010, 08:01 PM
Very regularly available and cheap but I always steered clear as I heard they were poor eaters. But if they eat mysis and spirulina then I think I'll get some.

michael_cb_125
02/07/2010, 08:06 PM
The "fact" that these fish often fail to feed in captivity is one of the reasons I have not tried them until now. But I figured coming from LA DD, they have as good of a shot as any.

~Michael

roktsintst
02/07/2010, 08:52 PM
You Dog!!!

I wanted those :mad2:

I have been waiting for someone to come forward with who bought these. They are an incredible anthias and I am very jealous!!!

Im glad they are going to a good home though.

Good luck and keep us posted with updates and pictures!!!!

michael_cb_125
02/07/2010, 09:00 PM
Thanks Ryan! ;)

I will keep posted, if not here in my Elos Thread!!!

Michael

kcreefer86
02/07/2010, 10:23 PM
if i were you, i'll would treat with prazipro..just cuz you dont see flukes or signs of it.doesnt mean they dont have it....imo

michael_cb_125
02/08/2010, 06:43 AM
They are in a QT.

I will be treating with PraziPro and Cupramine.

~Michael

stunreefer
02/08/2010, 07:53 AM
They look great Michael! :D

If one were to ever attempt these guys you couldn't have a better chance then through Kevin :thumbsup:

rachenbrazil
02/08/2010, 09:26 AM
Nice fishes. So good they are in good hands as yours hope you can gives us more info on how to keep them in long terms.

michael_cb_125
02/08/2010, 12:07 PM
Thanks everyone!!

I have high hopes for these fish. They are at Megan's house in their QT. Now that we are sure they are feeding well and not letting any food fall to the bottom we plan on feeding them much more frequently.

Starting today Megan is feeding them every hour. I truly believe that the main issue with these fish (other than collection/stress) is that they do not receive the proper amounts of food in our little glass boxes.

Being small they cannot each very much at one time (I have counted and they generally stop feeding after consuming about 10-15 mysids), but after about 30 minutes they act as though they have not eaten in weeks. Also, when looking at the swimming habits of these fish, it is obvious that they must eat quite frequently. They remind me of a hummingbird, the way they constantly flutter their tail and pectoral fins.

I will be sure to keep posted on these little fish, and will comment frequently on how they tolerate meds in a QT environment.

~Michael

roktsintst
02/08/2010, 12:31 PM
That is the exact same thing my Multifasciata do. It is much harder to feed them now that they are in the 300, but while in QT they would eat 5ish brine at a time and then let the rest float around in the tank. Then 30 minutes to an hour later they would act starving again and eat another 5 bites each and tht was it. I relaly think smaller fish and more active fish need to be fed much more frequently!!!

roktsintst
02/10/2010, 02:09 PM
How are they doing Michael?

And what are they eating?

michael_cb_125
02/10/2010, 02:20 PM
Hey Ryan!

They are doing very good. They no longer hide when someone walks past the tank. I strategically placed the QT in a high traffic area of the house. I have always done this to get my fish used to me, and I have very good luck. If I get fish that are too finicky I have a blanket that I cover the tank with, but I have not had to do this with these fish.

They are eating whole mysis, brine, and flake foods. They will take in pellets, but then spit them back out. They will actually pick the mysis from the toothpick that I feed from :)

~Michael

stunreefer
02/10/2010, 02:23 PM
Great news!

I generally soak Spectrum pellets in a bit of tank water prior to feeding... softens them up and encourages finicky fish to take 'em down.

roktsintst
02/10/2010, 02:27 PM
Awesome!!!

michael_cb_125
02/10/2010, 02:31 PM
Austin- I have been soaking the tiny pellets in selcon until they absorb all of it. They expand about three times normal size. They anthias say they are too good for that, they only want fresh foods. Stuck-Up little buggers. ;)

Ryan-they have another trio being posted this evening----- they have your name all over them. :)

~Michael

roktsintst
02/10/2010, 02:48 PM
Yes...yes... I'll be hunting for them!!!

Cantonesefish
02/10/2010, 03:22 PM
Michael you have a beautiful trio! Glad they are doing so well for you.

Good luck Ryan! :)

flameangel88
02/10/2010, 05:44 PM
Yes...yes... I'll be hunting for them!!!

Ryan,

Get them fast...3 females bet 2-2.25".

http://www.liveaquaria.com/images/diversden/approved/lg-0210101-286.jpg

eho72
02/10/2010, 06:01 PM
Wow! Someone is fast. I opened the page up to click purchase. Had to think about it for a minute. Too late, gone. Who's the lucky one? If I ever get these fish, it'll be from LA Diver's Den.

dubdlee
02/10/2010, 06:06 PM
Beautiful fish!!

flameangel88
02/10/2010, 06:13 PM
Wow! Someone is fast. I opened the page up to click purchase. Had to think about it for a minute. Too late, gone. Who's the lucky one? If I ever get these fish, it'll be from LA Diver's Den.

It was available for about 8 minutes from the time I saw it to when it was sold. I was actually surprised it lasted that long for someone to check out.

Okay, time for the buyer to come forward and fessup. :)

Makenna
02/10/2010, 06:29 PM
I will post some pics of them in QT after a Saturday morning delivery.

I am more than excited. They will eventually end up in a 220g with a trio of Bimac Anthias, who as an aside, are doing great!

Cheers all!!

Bobby

flameangel88
02/10/2010, 06:38 PM
Bobby--
Congrats on your new additions! Would love to follow your updates on them.

Michael--
Please keep your updates coming. Hopefully I'll be able to setup a tank for a trio in the future.

Ryan--
Better luck next time.

Kevin

Aquabacs
02/10/2010, 06:38 PM
They looks sweet, Michael. I was temped the other night to pick them up :)

Mike

roktsintst
02/10/2010, 06:59 PM
Thanks Kevin...

I wanted them but I did not try... :( I was doing a WC instead!

I thought pretty hard about it and as much as I would love a trio, I just dont know what it would do for my tank...

If I did it, I'd want to get like 7 of them!

If i dont do that, I'll just get 8 maldives Lyretails!

flameangel88
02/10/2010, 07:22 PM
Ryan,

It's better when you're ready. You know how I feel about pairs and trios but at the moment I don't have anymore tanks to acclimate them in and if not done correctly and they get disoriented going into the DT they will just be an expensive meal for my Crosshatch. Hopefully we will see more in the future.

Kevin

roktsintst
02/10/2010, 07:39 PM
Yeah, it is always better to do it the right way... Especially with a touchy fish like a Ventralis!!!

Matt_Wandell
02/10/2010, 08:57 PM
I truly believe that the main issue with these fish (other than collection/stress) is that they do not receive the proper amounts of food in our little glass boxes.

IMHO it is acute sensitivity to shipping stress and or decompression that does the vast majority of them in. They'll eventually eat fairly large food.

roktsintst
02/13/2010, 09:45 PM
Update!!!

michael_cb_125
02/14/2010, 07:35 AM
Update- All three fish are eating extremely well, and are putting on weight. As they should being fed every hour on the hour. ;)

BUT, the male and the dominant female are picking on the submissive female. She has what looks like a few raised scales on her abdomen, actually it looks like a grain of rice sticking out of her about 1/16". This showed up three days ago, and yesterday the other female started showing the same exact thing.

Like I said all the fish are fat and eating. I will be starin medication in the the QT once I am sure they will take it better, I want a little more fat on the fish before I treat them.

~Michael

roktsintst
02/14/2010, 08:51 AM
Hi Michael!

That is great news that they are all eating well. That is the first step to sucess :)

Is there any way you can get a picture of the rice like thing? Do you think it is bacterial? And will you start w/ Maracyn2 to help w/ that or prazi?

Thanks buddy and good luck!

SDguy
02/14/2010, 10:39 AM
BUT, the male and the dominant female are picking on the submissive female. She has what looks like a few raised scales on her abdomen, actually it looks like a grain of rice sticking out of her about 1/16". This showed up three days ago, and yesterday the other female started showing the same exact thing.

IME anthias will pick on sick conspecifics, regardless of group hierarchy.

Danieltank
05/02/2010, 12:59 PM
What temperatures are you keeping the ventralis at?

WETFISH
05/03/2010, 10:58 AM
Please, give us an update.

Jacob D
05/04/2010, 12:06 AM
I was just about to post a thread to see who is keeping ventralis, then I noticed this one. Tagging along...

Cantonesefish
05/04/2010, 01:08 AM
Anyone interested in Michael's endeavors should check out his build thread in the elos forum. (~)

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1753616

michael_cb_125
05/04/2010, 05:56 AM
I was keeping the ventralis at 70F. My plan was to add them to the large (DT) where the temp is right at 68F. Unfortunately these fish did not make it, even though they were feeding heavily and showed no outward signs of disease. They went from fine and eating at 9pm to dead on the bottom at 6:30 AM. The fish all died about a week apart from each other. :(

~Michael

Jacob D
05/04/2010, 10:53 AM
Sorry to hear that. They're a hard nut to crack.

Texsun
05/04/2010, 03:24 PM
I still have the male out of my trio going strong after over two months. Temps are 77+. Toughest part is the multiple feedings and need to pack on some weight.