PDA

View Full Version : Switch my w/d filter with a sump ?

tuffyfluffy
02/07/2010, 08:18 PM
Hi,

I have a 45 gal. heavily stocked tank. At the moment I have a
CPR 500 wet/dry filter and can not get the skimmer I need because of
the small sump space. I DO NOT WANT A HOB SKIMMER. So... I was thinking of changing out my w/d filter with a sump. I have 51 lb. of live rock in the tank and a plenum. I think that is good for biological filter.

So can I do the switch? :confused:

Thank You

Daimyo68
02/08/2010, 01:55 PM
Some more info would be a help, tank size, ect.

Switching out to a sump is always a good option, but info is needed so that recommendations can be made

wooden_reefer
02/08/2010, 02:57 PM
Hi,

I have a 45 gal. heavily stocked tank. At the moment I have a
CPR 500 wet/dry filter and can not get the skimmer I need because of
the small sump space. I DO NOT WANT A HOB SKIMMER. So... I was thinking of changing out my w/d filter with a sump. I have 51 lb. of live rock in the tank and a plenum. I think that is good for biological filter.

So can I do the switch? :confused:

Thank You

Wet-dry can be very good for aeration and nitrification. Your LR may need a long time to be established as the medium of filtration.

Do things very gradually in your situation: heavy stock and wet-dry running now. Your wet-dry is likely doing most of the nitrification now; it cannot be removed quickly.

lordofthereef
02/08/2010, 03:52 PM
Is your reason for doing the switch to add a skimmer? I am unclear what made you want to switch. Not that I necessarily think you should keep a w/d...

tuffyfluffy
02/08/2010, 07:57 PM
Thanks you guys.

The reason I want to change my wet/dry filter to a sump, is because I am unable to have other filteration, such as a phosphate and calcium Reactors.
You see, the pumps from the other filters take a up all my sump space on the
wet/dry filter. But the big reason is that, I can't get a in-sump skimmer. I have no room for a exturnal skimmer, and I don't want a HOB skimmer. Room for probes and ATO is nice too.

The tank has been up and running for about a mounth now. I set it up the
third of january 2010.

There is 51 lb. live rock in the tank.

The tank is 45 gallon.

The stand is costom made and the area in which the filteration is is
32 in.L / 11in.W.

Thank you :thumbsup: