PDA

View Full Version : Is this a flat worm?

Timmy77
02/08/2010, 11:47 AM
I can't find a picture of one like it. I have found about 5 in my tank so far and trying to decide how to proceed.

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4053/4339128897_7ae7ec8abc_b.jpg

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2728/4339111455_24f23abc0f_b.jpg

Elysia
02/08/2010, 12:25 PM
Looks like a limpet, in which case it would not be flat like a flat worm. It would also have a shell (unlike a flat worm.)

Timmy77
02/08/2010, 12:31 PM
Looks like a limpet, in which case it would not be flat like a flat worm. It would also have a shell (unlike a flat worm.)

No shell

Elysia
02/08/2010, 12:55 PM
How quickly does it move? If you swirl the cup that the animal is in, does it lose its grip w/ the bottom?

Timmy77
02/08/2010, 01:09 PM
How quickly does it move? If you swirl the cup that the animal is in, does it lose its grip w/ the bottom?

Slowly with a tubular shaped body and it does loose it's grip. If water is removed it flattens out.

Elysia
02/08/2010, 01:16 PM
You are puzzling me. Photo looks just like a limpet, and nothing like a flatworm. Do you have any Stomatellas? These are snails that can detatch part of their foot when necessary and use it to distract preadators. I have very small hitchhiking limpets that are described as "China men's hats" that look like the animal in the photo. Where did you find the animal? There are small photosynthetic flatworms that often are found on corals that can be a golden-brown color.

Timmy77
02/08/2010, 01:28 PM
You are puzzling me. Photo looks just like a limpet, and nothing like a flatworm. Do you have any Stomatellas? These are snails that can detatch part of their foot when necessary and use it to distract preadators. I have very small hitchhiking limpets that are described as "China men's hats" that look like the animal in the photo. Where did you find the animal? There are small photosynthetic flatworms that often are found on corals that can be a golden-brown color.

Tanks has only been up for 7 months with most of the rock coming from my previous tank. Rock was acid washed and so nothing survived on or in the rock. Sand was live sand from a fellow reefer so anything is possible. I noticed the first of these guys shortly after introducing some new hermits, snails and a brain coral. I did a freshwater dip on all but I realize this in not enough.

Elysia
02/08/2010, 01:34 PM
You can try looking up "Convolutriloba," which is the genus of photosynthetic flatworm that people often find in their tank. I find it is best to just siphon them out. If it is the discarded foot of a Stomatella, the snail is likely safe in the tank and you can discard the foot. Stomatellas and the limpets are harmless herbivores, so they are good to have, but weren't likely to be in the live sand you received (but perhaps the hermits, snails, and coral.) Feel free to post some additional photos if you want to get a specific ID.

Timmy77
02/08/2010, 02:24 PM
I have very good flow an MP40 in a 90 and the only place I have seen them is in one (lower flow area) of the tank and in the overflow. The main thing I'm trying to decide is weather to use flatworm exit or maybe just try a six line wrasse. All my perimeters are very good to excellent with about 150 gallons of total water volume. I run gfo and carbon in a reactor plus kalk in my auto top off. I also dose mag ounce a week.

tahoe61
02/08/2010, 02:32 PM
Baby Stomatella, cool good guy.

Timmy77
02/08/2010, 02:57 PM
Baby Stomatella, cool good guy.

Hmm I can hope but I don't think I'm that lucky. It goes flat when the water is off him thats why I'm thinking flat worm. I sure can't find a pic of anything that looks similar.

tahoe61
02/08/2010, 02:59 PM
In the pic it is hard to tell, but if you have one flatworm you have about 100 more, so I would start looking for flatworms.

jcmelski
02/08/2010, 03:06 PM
It doesn't look like a flat worm. I have some in my tank that I need to get rid of once I have the time. A six line wrasse may or may not eat the flatworms. I bought one thinking the same thing and mine doesn't do diddly squat to them.

tahoe61
02/08/2010, 03:09 PM
Hmm I can hope but I don't think I'm that lucky. It goes flat when the water is off him thats why I'm thinking flat worm. I sure can't find a pic of anything that looks similar. Stomatella tend to come out more during the evening and at night. If you have flatworms you maybe able to find more on the stocks of softcorals and mushrooms.