PDA

View Full Version : 6-8 T5 strips with reflectors or 12 without?

Allbread
02/08/2010, 07:19 PM
Hi all,

I recently purchased my first tank off of Craig's list (almost at the end of it's cycle, pretty psyched!). The tank is a 24 x 24 x 24 cube that's divided into 50 gallons in the front and 10 gallon sump in the back.

The tank came with 12 24w t5 strips without reflectors and I was looking into adding reflectors for them but, due to space considerations, I don't have room to keep the same number of strips with reflectors.

Anyone know how much more efficient the t5 bulbs are with reflectors? Granted, I already own the strips, but if I can get the same or more light out of the set-up by having fewer bulbs with reflectors than it sounds like a good deal. Otherwise, I can keep it as is and perhaps add a reflective surface behind all of the bulbs (currently just black behind them).

Thanks for your input!

Ryan

BTW - photos are of the first day with water in the tank, looks much better now (live rock, sand, and everything)!

nikon187
02/08/2010, 07:25 PM
Individual reflectors for each bulb can increase light by 300% if a good reflector is used. ( Ice cap, aquatinics)

kgross
02/08/2010, 07:26 PM
With reflectors you get close to 4 times the light output with good reflectors compared to without.

Kim

Allbread
02/08/2010, 07:31 PM
I'm good enough at math to figure those numbers out! Sounds like reflectors it is! That will also solve my problem of leaving a big enough gap for both fan and protein skimer - I removed a couple of bulbs anyway to get the skimmer to sit a little higher.

Thanks!

Ryan

Edit: strips are Sun Blaze - they make an add on reflector, anyone know if they are any good? Will the ice caps fit any bulb or are there compatibly issue.

sedor
02/08/2010, 07:37 PM
Thats way more bulbs than you need anyways...go with the reflectors and like 6 bulbs. You could probably even get away with 4 but you might as well use 6 since you have them.

Allbread
02/08/2010, 10:22 PM
One more question:

Due to the way that my strips are mounted, I would need to cut the reflectors short in order to get them to work (down to 20" long or so). I was looking at the icecaps, would I be able to cut them down a bit without destroying/shattering them?

Thanks,
Ryan

qfrisco
02/09/2010, 03:32 PM
One more question:

Due to the way that my strips are mounted, I would need to cut the reflectors short in order to get them to work (down to 20" long or so). I was looking at the icecaps, would I be able to cut them down a bit without destroying/shattering them?

Thanks,
Ryan

Yes, shouldn't be a problem with some metal shears. It will deform the metal where you're doing the cutting, but no worries if you don't care about that. You might want to fold a length of masking tape over the cut edge to prevent from cutting yourself on it.

I've cut myself twice just on the finished edge (they're pretty sharp). :-/

cjtice
02/09/2010, 03:41 PM
If you cut them down (whish should not be a problem) then you will also lose the are that you attach your metal clip to. You will just have to flaten out a spot a drill another hole for the clip bolt.

Chris