PDA

View Full Version : Sump Designs - Input needed (pictures included)

D4kkon
02/09/2010, 11:35 AM
I'm going to have glass cages make me this sump. They already quoted me around $295.00 to make it, I am wanting to make perfect use of the space under my tank.

Any opinions on what you would do differently and which one is a better design?

The first one uses the flow from the overflow to feed the refugium.

The second pumps water from the return pump into the refugium.

http://img690.imageshack.us/img690/4924/sumpdesign.jpg

http://img51.imageshack.us/img51/6662/sumpdesign2.jpg

- Matt

Blitzburggirl
02/09/2010, 12:12 PM
Mine is set up alot like the first one. The thing I worry (most) about was debris (macro specifically) making it over the partition, and into the return. Clogging the pump etc. This has been a real problem. So, through no design of my own, I plan on stealing something I saw, to set my mind at ease :)

A horizontal piece of acrylic with a small (1/4") lip on the edge for water to flow into the return portion across. and filter socks to catch debris. Also reduces micro bubbles from the skimmer. I haven't implemented it yet, but will in the very near future.

D4kkon
02/09/2010, 12:22 PM
A horizontal piece of acrylic with a small (1/4") lip on the edge for water to flow into the return portion across. and filter socks to catch debris. Also reduces micro bubbles from the skimmer. I haven't implemented it yet, but will in the very near future.

Will this stop the macro from flowing over, I would assume that having a filter on the end of your return pump (internal) would work just as well.

Do you think I should separate the overflow inlet area and the skimmer, like dedicate a section to it, or is it good in the same area? I just ordered a Super Reef 2000 and it has to have a constant water height to function properly...

-Matt

mrkookm
02/09/2010, 01:40 PM
Here a real simple straight forward DIY sump using a 40gal breeder. Skimmer section is 10" H, 13"W, return area I forgot and baffles are 2in apart. @ 46"W you could add an extra baffle down the line to create the refugium area but yo get the basic idea.

http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o210/mrkookm/itech200.jpg

D4kkon
02/09/2010, 02:20 PM
Thank you for your input.

I really need criticism on my design. I am a horrible DIYer and I plan on ordering this sump and not having to deal with it down the line. I am in the military and my salary isn't exactly one you would call vast.

I've been doing planted freshwater tanks for a long time now (since '03) and I just got into saltwater this past year when a friend gave me their entire setup during a move. I am finding that most of the stuff I was given is beginning to break from age or is so outdated that it is not working (Like the top-fathom skimmer -- junk--, or the sump that just cracked). I like to build/buy the best to begin with and run the tank for a very long time. I am moving to Texas for a 6 year assignment in approximately 18 months. I am buying the equipment I need for a new setup as the money comes in now.

My plans are to run a 120 Gallon mixed reef with this sump. I want to keep this very clean / organized. Any help is very much appreciated.